+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Photoshop CS3 - Will not Save As without Admin Rights? in Technical; Has anyone else encountered this situation? We have a site license for Adobe CS3 Premium and it works nicely except ...
    Thank Post

Photoshop CS3 - Will not Save As without Admin Rights?

Has anyone else encountered this situation?

We have a site license for Adobe CS3 Premium and it works nicely except for PhotoShop CS3.

Only in PhotoShop while saving to the network, if a student (no admin rights) tries to use Save As it will give an error prompting that the file already exists and asks if you want to replace it. It does not matter what the file name is, it claims that it already exists.

If you choose the replace option, it will save a file without the extension. The save option works just fine and save as works in all of the other Adobe apps and with admin accounts. Photoshop can perform save as to a flash drive or to the local drives if it was allowed, it just will not Save As to the network.

I've contacted Abobe and their response was to give our students admin rights. I told them that I really did not want to do that, I don't remember having admin rights being in their system specs, and this seems like a bug.

They offered no other solution. Are the denizens of this forum aware of any?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Photoshop CS3 - Will not Save As without Admin Rights?

give our students admin rights.
    You have got to be kidding?

Might sound abit basic and i am not patronising you in anyway, the folder in what they are saving to do they have full rights?

Thank Post

I seem to remember coming across this problem when using a UNC path. Saving to a drive letter works fine but for whatever reason it hates UNC.

I'll have a check on my install and see what happens.

Sorry to say that UNC does work on our setup. We're using V10.0 as the updates cause problems with some of our other software.

Just a thought, could it be the permissions given to the students on the Temp folder or the 'stratch' folder I think they call it in Photoshop. Grab procmon from sysinternal and have a look at whats happening when you go to save the file.

Thank Post

@Jwood I agree,

GP should lock most settings down anyway, we have not ever needed to reload a pc because somone has played with settings as then can't even if they are local admins.

We also monitor there actions anyway so we would see them messing around or attempting to hack something, like jwood says its the servers that are critical.

Thank Post

mmmm, I'm afraid that I'm one of those who likes to start with a locked down system and then make adjustments where needed.

It's yet to really cause me a problem, just needs the odd change of permissions via a GPO but thats only happened for a couple of applications.

Like you say, as long as the servers and data are secure thats the most important thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries

What happens if the group polices don't apply on the machine that means the kids can do pretty much anything. i know you say go round and image the machines if they do something but to be honest won't it be a bit on a pain in the bum to do that?

Thank Post

As yet we've not needed to give modify rights to the c: or program files folder and no changes to the registry permissions.

Everyone should have system for documenting change too. I know that I've created an 11 page document details exactly how all the applications need to be installed and the adjustments needed. This way any joe bloggs can walk in and create a new workstation image that will work.

Its really all down to preference and the amount of time you've got available for testing, deploying etc. We are also trying to get our Head to agree that no software will be purchased without our approval (I do have some wild and crazy ideas that I'll one day live in the perfect techs world).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is the UNC hidden or does it have Access based enumeration on?
    If so you need to allow the pupils to "see" there full folder tree down to the save location.
    E.G. \\SERVER\SHARE\pupils\blahuser\ is the path so when you pupil browses to \\server\share he must be able to see pupils and the following folders down the path to get adobe to save.
    The actual permission controlling this is Read extended properties. Without that checked users dont see access enum folders.

Thank Post

Thats working on things like Adobe Suite, Macromedia and Office 2007 being a single application. And doesn't include things like web apps and CD writing software.

Thank Post

Ouch!! 8O

Guess that would be fun if you got told to move over to Vista.

Thank Post

At my primary schools the pupils and staff have admin access to the local machine with GPO locking down obvious features. This is fine i think as most primary school children wont try to do something to the computers- and the teachers have to be more proactive with the teaching, and actually go around the class making sure kids are on task.

however, at the secondary school everything is locked down fairly tight for the pupils- Not so tight that they can't do *anything* but tight enough to stop the majority of pupils from going off task

Thank Post
    Ok back to the OP.. we have the same issue with the kids here, no we haven't given them Admin Rights - and never will!

A workaround is to manually add the extension to the filename (eg Untitled-1.psd rather than untitled-1- this then solves the problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread