+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, HASH Rules in Technical; Hi all. I am in the process of tyring to stop students from running .EXE .COM etc etc from there ...

Thank Post

HASH Rules

Hi all.

I am in the process of tyring to stop students from running .EXE .COM etc etc from there My Documents.

I have created a software restriction policy but I am unable to get it to work. If I set the default level to block all then I can't run any program at all even if I put in additional rules to say allow everything from C:\Program Files ??? Any ideas on how to get this to work, or the format of path rules / hash rules etc?

So doing some testing today the only way I can get any of the sotware restrictions to work is by allowing all, and then creating a block Hash rule to a EXE. For some reason any Path rules I create don't work??

Please help,

thanks in advance,

Ben

Thank Post

Re: HASH Rules

What server OS are you using?

If your running 2003R2 then you could set a filter on all the home folder to prevent them from putting .COM .EXE etc into their home folders.

Or.

Set the special permission on the users home folder and deny them Execute permissions.

Thank Post

We have server 2003 R2 and use the built in filtering tools, it works well for us. You can even set it to notify you when a student tries to save a .EXE file to their area. Works a treat.

Mike.

Thank Post

Hi, thanks for the replies.

We are using Windows Server 2003 R2. I had no idea about the .EXE .COM blocking. That would be really useful if we could do that. Could you give us some pointers as to how to set this up? We are going to allow the students here to access there work from home so having something that alerts you when they drop a EXE in a folder would be very good.

I have now managed to get the hash and path rules working, our My Documents area is located on a NAS box ( N:\ ) and for some reason the path rules wouldn't work when you mentioned N:\*.exe etc etc so we tried the UNC path and the path rules work great! Not sure why but they work.

Thanks,

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread