+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, changing from roaming profiles to gpo in Technical; Finally got new server installed and hopefully end of roaming and mandatory profiles! But ... the only way I can ...
    Thank Post

changing from roaming profiles to gpo

Finally got new server installed and hopefully end of roaming and mandatory profiles! But ... the only way I can get gpo to work is to deny all access to the local default profile. Is there any other way of getting gpo to overide this profile?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

Re: changing from roaming profiles to gpo

and hopefully end of roaming and mandatory profiles!
    :?: I'm confused.

Thank Post

I'm permanently confused!
    We had a server set up with mandatory (for pupils) and roaming profiles for staff - got messy with laptops going home and long logons so when new server installed decided to go for gpo, use this at my other school much prefer it.
    Each computer on the network was orginally set up with a base profile that was then copied across to the default user profile on each computer so that everyone that logged on got the same profile. I'm now finding that this default profile is still overiding the gpo from the server, done gpupdate to no avail, only way to get gpo to work is to deny access to local default profile, and wondered it there was a better way of doing it.

Thank Post

Does it work on a newly installed machine that hasn't had this default profile loaded onto it??

Mike.

Thank Post

Yes recently formatted and reinstalled xp - gpo picked up straight away.

Thank Post

Try this command.

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

it resets all the security settings on a machine back to their origenal default settings. Can take a while to complete, but solves a fair few 'mystery' problems for us. Do use with caution, as I have heard of this causing problems on machines before, but if there's no other suggestions, it may be worth a go.

Mike.

Thank Post

Also try this in a command prompt:

gpupdate /force

This has solved alot of issues here in terms of pulling GPOs

Thank Post

Sounds like permissions on the profile. Was the profile originally copied using the GUI copy function and permissions changed to allow access to Everyone?

See the wiki guide on mandatory profiles for more details.

Thank Post

AJBritton - yes the computer was set up then the profile was copied across to the default with permissions reset. I've managed to get the gp to be picked up but only by denying everyone access to said default profile, this works but I was wondering if there was a better way to achieve the same result.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrbb
    AJBritton - yes the computer was set up then the profile was copied across to the default with permissions reset. I've managed to get the gp to be picked up but only by denying everyone access to said default profile, this works but I was wondering if there was a better way to achieve the same result.
    Hi chrbb

You should certainly never have to deny access to the local default profile.

Just to confirm (as it's not 100% clear from your post), how did you copy the profile from the source computer. If you dragged/dropped from 'C:\Documents and Settings\username' to the network and then modified the file system ACLs, then this is not sufficient. You must use the 'Copy To...' function from the user profile list in the System Properties dialog box.

Have you checked the event logs on the PCs after logging on as a test user?

Thank Post

I didn't set it up - from what I can remember watching the company that set it up (I'd only just started in the job!) logged on to local pc as new user set up pc as required logged off, logged back on as admin, went to docs and settings copied that users profile to default profile on that computer, set permissions to everyone. They then ghosted that image to all the rest of the computers in the suite.
    Then to ensure users were set up from the start with a roaming profile that we wanted ie background, printers, proxy etc, they had to log on a computer in the suite their profile was then stored on the server, in a location designated from their user properties.
    Now on those computers the default profile seems to 'rule the roost' taken priority over the gpo from the server.

Thank Post

So, if you use (or going to use) local profiles on each machine - does it drag a new profile down from the server each login?

If it does not some programs such as office (if deployed over Lan) install on each user run (it installs some user parts in the profile), where as on one profile for all students you can run this once only. The end result making office products open very quick!

Also would you not have thousands of local profiles on each machine?

Any work arounds for this?

I am on central mand profile for all profiles, login time is about 40 seconds!!

Thank Post

@chrbb,

The permissions in a profile cannot simply be changed my modifying the file system ACLs as per your example. When the profile is copied from the source PC to the network, it MUST be copied using the 'Copy To...' function and the permissions modified at that point. This modifies not only the ACLs on the files, but also the ACLs within the registry (within the NTUSER.DAT file). If this is not done, then GP settings cannot be applied because the user trying to load the profile does not have the necessary permissions to write to the registry.

Thank Post

In my other school gpo only, -we only use class logons not pupils so not huge amount of local stored profiles (primary school) first time class logon office installs then ok. Logon time almost instant, printer installs by logon script and then on subsequent logons just connects to printer.
    In the school with roaming and mandatory profiles logon time much longer. To be honest the pupil mandatory profiles haven't been a problem it's the roaming ones that have caused issues and now we have wireless in some areas of school the teacher's laptops take forever to logon.

Thank Post

Still sounds to me like a local security setting of some sort is telling the machines to ignore the mandatory profile, and apply the default one on the machine in it's place. When you deny access to the default profile, it has no choise but to use the mandatory profile.

Have you tried running the command I suggested above on a machine yet? It may be worth a go if you havn't.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast