+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Display problem in Technical; hello. i need some help please. i am booting up my pc and it goes through the motions of displaying ...

Thank Post

Re: Last Nights Windows Updates!

hello. i need some help please.
    i am booting up my pc and it goes through the motions of displaying the windows xp logo, then when its meant to bring up the login screen or desk top i get this message. CAN NOT DISPLAY THIS INPUT SIGNAL.

please can you help in resolving the problem. i have tried another VGA card and the same.
    Bats

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Display problem

Sounds like the video mode is not supported by the monitor. Have you tried a different monitor?

Does the machine have any sort of remote access, eg. via VNC or remote desktop? If not you will have to "guess" your way around "blindfolded", using the keyboard as navigation, to reset the resolution. Once logged in (wait a while for HD activity to stop so other windows won't interrupt the process), this should work to reset the display to the minimum resolution:

Win+R, "control desk.cpl", Ctrl+Shift+Tab, Home, Enter.

Thank Post

Sounds like you have an undisplayable resolution/refresh rate set. Did you swap the VGA card out for an identical one? If so, XP would just carry on trying to use the undisplayable mode.

Boot in VGA mode (Hold F8 as you would for safe mode) to check XP loads OK when not using the previously set mode.

Thank Post

If working in the dark does not work...

Try starting in safe mode to ensure the system is working.

If you can get in this way change the video driver to a basic one windows one.

Then restart normally and reinstall the proper video drivers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Sounds like the video mode is not supported by the monitor. Have you tried a different monitor?

Does the machine have any sort of remote access, eg. via VNC or remote desktop? If not you will have to "guess" your way around "blindfolded", using the keyboard as navigation, to reset the resolution. Once logged in (wait a while for HD activity to stop so other windows won't interrupt the process), this should work to reset the display to the minimum resolution:

Win+R, "control desk.cpl", Ctrl+Shift+Tab, Home, Enter.
    Change that to "Win+R, "control desk.cpl", Ctrl+Shift+Tab, Tab, Tab, Home, Enter."

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The extra Tab, Tab for me makes the Troubleshoot button the active control. Perhaps we have/don't have video card manufacturer customisations or dual-screen setups?

A fail-safe method would be (to explicitly change focus to the screen resolution slider):

Win+R, "control desk.cpl", Ctrl+Shift+Tab, Alt+S, Home, Enter.

Thank Post

Plug it into a CRT monitor and change the resolution.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries

Indeed... It is more than likely manufacturer specific... Worth a try either way though.

Thank Post

no input signal

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Indeed... It is more than likely manufacturer specific... Worth a try either way though.
    Hi everyone.

I have another problem now, and its happening with 2 pc's. i keep getting a "no input signal" message and nothing is diplayed on my screen.
    lets start with PC1. i have changed the Memory and removed the VGA card and connected to the onboard graphics. and all worked fine, i ran pc for around a hour and bang same thing again "NO INPUT SIGNAL" restarted and getting the same. removed the new Memory i installed and refitted it and all ok again, then it goes again. keeps happening all the time.

PC2. installed a new hard drive with xp sp2 and all ok. restart pc and "NO INPUT SIGNAL". restart it a few times and it fires up again. then after a while it freezes like when i was installing NERO. restarted and again "NO INPUT SIGNAL". both pc have an ASUS mother board, though both are different.
    Getting realy Cheesed off now. any help please.

there are no error beeps when you start up pc's. did a memory test and all ok. could it be a heat sink problem, psu or motherboard as memory is Brand new.

Please help. getting fustrated and ready to throw out of window.
    Thanks in advance to all who reply with help.

Bats

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    As soon as you switch your computer on, press F8 and then choose VGA mode. If you're able to get into Windows, then it would seem your screen resolution is going out of range, hence you receive a black screen with no input signal.

When you're in Windows, navigate to Control Panel > Device Manager and in turn, highlight and press the Delete key (you may have two entries with dual VGA cards), then restart as normal. This will then force Windows to re-detect and re-install the driver. Set the resolution as appropriate and then reboot to see if the problem still persists.

If it does, then I would recommend you visit either ATI's or Nvidia's website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Could we have a mod link bats 2 posts together as they are for the same thing.

Please

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread