+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Win 8 Downgrade > Win 7 shouldnt be this painful! in Technical; Yes Fujistu im looking at you. Lifebook AH512 after disabling the quickboot function its still ignoring the install dvd's etc, ...

Thank Post

Win 8 Downgrade > Win 7 shouldnt be this painful!

Yes Fujistu im looking at you.
    Lifebook AH512

after disabling the quickboot function its still ignoring the install dvd's etc, so after looking at their manual which sheds no light i resort to contacting the technical team.

"you need to enable xxx option"
    its greyed out
    "i see well you need to perform a bios upgrade which will enable you to change this"

ok thanks...

your having a bubble have vendors got so paranoid about users nuking their installs that they resort to this? madness
    next issue is that it wont accept a KMS type key due to the type of hardware it is install on....... (and this disk works a treat elsewhere)
    grrrr

/rant

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I can't say I've needed a BIOS upgrade before to downgrade to Win 7. That really is odd from Fujitsu.

As far as I'm aware KMS or MAK keys should work on any x86 or x64 hardware where Windows is installed... unless I'm missing something?

Thank Post
    I downgraded a win8 laptop I have disable secure boot and get rid of the keys. KMS wouldn't work as the BIOS didn't have the (windows flag thing) I had to use a MAK key.

Thank Post
    With one of Acer's latest laptops i had to get a non UEFI BIOS from them for the KMS to work. That was a right pain getting it. It was the first time i had come across this, does the Server 2012 KMS server work with UEFI BIOS's? As were still on 2008 R2

Thank Post
    Same here as Chazzy
    I first couldn’t image the win8 laptop because of uefi, so I had to disable it and turn on legacy boot options. Then the image wouldn’t activate, it said KMS was only good for upgrades, and I needed to purchase windows.
    I ran the wga diag to find it didn’t have the proper windows flag.
    I suspect it is because win7 and 8 use a different version of SLIC
    I ended up using a MAK key as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ADMaster View Post
    Same here as Chazzy
    I first couldn’t image the win8 laptop because of uefi, so I had to disable it and turn on legacy boot options. Then the image wouldn’t activate, it said KMS was only good for upgrades, and I needed to purchase windows.
    I ran the wga diag to find it didn’t have the proper windows flag.
    I suspect it is because win7 and 8 use a different version of SLIC
    I ended up using a MAK key as well.
    yup windows xp/vist/7 slic is pretty much just a flag saying yup i came shipped with windows home/pro win8 the bios stores the key itself which is why win 8 stickers are just piddly little pictures of a window and have no code

Thank Post
    ball ache in other words if you brought 30 of them or something, o well have to use a MAK then as i doubt Fujistu will give me a different bios....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SHimmer45 View Post
    ball ache in other words if you brought 30 of them or something, o well have to use a MAK then as i doubt Fujistu will give me a different bios....
    download vamt if you need to do 30 via mak you can add the key an activate from one console with a few mouse clicks

Thank Post
    glad its not just me having this problem.

currently cant find the right network drivers from Toshiba! none of the ones on their website works.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    download vamt if you need to do 30 via mak you can add the key an activate from one console with a few mouse clicks
    already have KMS setup and running here but havent needed to use that tool before.

if its coded into the bios might still have some issues even with VAMT thankfully only this one laptop at this stage...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    glad its not just me having this problem.

currently cant find the right network drivers from Toshiba! none of the ones on their website works.
    I've had this problem too with some of their more recent models. You're better off googling the hardware ID or checking what adapter's installed before re-imaging. Glad it's not just me!

Seeing as you've already imaged, you could open the machine up and see what wireless card you have installed.

Thank Post
    toshiba would it be a mini notebook l830 or some such as someone here asked me for those wifi drivers earlier in the week so if you find em can you let me know

as to vamt it wont care basically you apply the mak code all it does is run slmgr.vbs on the remote pc saves going to it and typing then activating (at least thats how it seems to work)

Thank Post
    went through the attempts at registering/changing from MAK (which is what it was asking for after the win 7 install completed) ti KMS.
    get a funky message about needs to be from a upgrade source not full retail yada yada.
    relented and put the mak in

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    toshiba would it be a mini notebook l830 or some such as someone here asked me for those wifi drivers earlier in the week so if you find em can you let me know

as to vamt it wont care basically you apply the mak code all it does is run slmgr.vbs on the remote pc saves going to it and typing then activating (at least thats how it seems to work)
    nah its a Satelitte Pro C850.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I've had this problem too with some of their more recent models. You're better off googling the hardware ID or checking what adapter's installed before re-imaging. Glad it's not just me!

Seeing as you've already imaged, you could open the machine up and see what wireless card you have installed.
    yeah that's my next step..

thanks

Thank Post
    Same model here, Toshiba C850. Top of my head I believe it's an Atheros.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information