+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Java 7 Update 25 in Technical; I'm still fighting to install Java (we do need it for some sites!) and it seems the U25 one works ...
    Thank Post

Java 7 Update 25

I'm still fighting to install Java (we do need it for some sites!) and it seems the U25 one works with Windows 7 (using the standard transform) but it doesn't work in XP. Anything other than an admin doesn't get the warning box and therefore java doesn't work at all.

The only thing I can find is that when an admin invokes java, a folder is created \userprofile\Application Data\Sun\Java is created. When a non admin user visits a java page this doesn't happen, so its almost like it isn't being detected as being installed. This is only happening on XP machines as far as I can see, the Win7 ones are actually working but we still have a majority of XP so its still causing problems!

Theres no restrictions on non-admin accounts that I can find that would cause this - the older versions of java used to work. They're obviously not permitted to install anything but other than that the restrictions are standard group policy stuff.

Has anyone got the U21 or U25 installed on XP? If so can you tell me how you installed it? I've used a MSI with a GPO (as is my usual method) and a basic transform to disabled updating etc and enable java in IE.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    If you create the folder manually, does Java work? If so, I'd say it's logon script/GPP time. We both know Oracle aren't going to fix it.

Thank Post
    I've tried copying that folder over from a 'working' admin profile and it didn't work. But that might mean the folder is created when Java is first run, rather than it needing to be there for java to run! I'm not sure how the process works, unless I sit down with filemon and processmon for the next 24 hours and try and work it out!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread