+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Sophos 4.0 on Win98/ME in Technical; Pfft dont tell me about resources on my 800 mhz celerons with 128 meg ram running windows 2000...
    Thank Post

Re: Sophos 4.0 on Win98/ME

Pfft dont tell me about resources on my 800 mhz celerons with 128 meg ram running windows 2000

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts

I agree - I have managed to install the new version with flashing shield on my Win 2000/ Win98/XP clients without any probs and it works well.
    BUT I am stuck with the old system - with weekly updates of IDEs - on my other network as I have an NT server and the new stuff won't work with it. So I was disappointed that they have extended the support as I was using the support finishing as a stick to beat my boss over the head with - in order to get a new server!! Boo Hoo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts

@ChrisH - To be honest the 800Mhz isn't the bottleneck, but the memory is. I have installed 512MB of memory in each of our workstations with 1GHz P3's or 1.2GHz Celeron's running XP SP2.

Memory is very cheap these days. Originally I bought 256MB x 1 for each of our machines, then the following year added another 256MB as most of our machines only have 2 DIMM slots. It has paid off and extended the life of the machines.

@ITWITCH - Although it is unfortunate Sophos has extended support for 3.xx (in your case), really the school needs to upgrade from NT4 server. The protection of school data is critical and if vulnerabilities cannot be patched it is a huge risk. Not one I'd want to gamble on personally.

Thank Post

I'd have to agree with Michael, NT4 isn't supported by Microsoft anymore, I mean its nearly 10 years old FFS! Schools 'Have' to keep up with the times when it comes to software otherwise you end up loosing out. See my column about patching, it applies to Antivirus software as much as it does to Criticial updates.

Whenever I make this kind of comment I always get the 'we can't afford' type reply. The school I was at as a network manager had no more money than any other, yet we ran a network that was state of the art. In fact we were ready to install Sophos 5 (?) before the LEA had even considered upgrading their Enterprise Library.

Important issues such as 'Sustainablitiy', 'Data Security' and 'Change Management' have been touched on here. For more information about these see:
    http://www.ictadvice.org.uk/index.ph...code=as_pur_02
    http://www.becta.org.uk/fits

-Kev
    PS the column is Kev's Network Menagerie, Article: Patch Patch Patch.

Thank Post

Well, the message I am getting from the boss - however hard I try - is that there is no money for a new server yet
    And next year the ringfenced IT money is going to be available to all - I haven't got a lot of hope of new equipment, have I?
    This school is only a first school (up to year 4) so IT is possibly less important than in a school with older children. Or at least, they think so.
    To be honest, the whole system is so old that if I could disable the server/computers for good without being found out, I think I would, just to force the issue!

Thank Post

I think the question of the importance of ICT in the curriculum or as a discreet subject should be raised with management. If it is important then sufficient funds should be allocated. Its not your fault that ICT is expensive; its just the way things are.

My view is that if computers are more than 5 years old they are not providing the pupils with a 'relevant' ICT Experience. New software brings new features and new ways of working. Just because the pupils are young doesn't mean they can be 'fobbed off' with a poor ICT experience; it just servers to devalue the subject.

I'd look to agree with management a rolling programme of PC refreshes, such that every 4 years every curriculum PC is replaced. If this is considered 'unfeesible' then only have the number of computers in the school that is feesible. Sustainablitiy is a very important issue with schools, tends to be overlooked.

Becta has some great advice for teachers, leaders and technical staff with regard to sustainability: http://www.ictadvice.org.uk/index.ph...code=as_pur_02

Hope this helps.
    -Kev

Thank Post

Thank Post

Thanks for the info but I think I must live in a different and much colder world than you.
    I am only a lowly part time techie and no one takes much notice of me. I certainly would not be involved in any senior management discussions.
    My bosses in both my schools - the ICT co ordinators - are also pretty much ignored by the powers that be.
    The computers in one of my schools range from 4 to 7 years old, and the other they are 3 to 6 years old. And we use Win 98
    I know what needs to be done, but I seriously cannot see any way of achieving it. Can anyone help? I have tried putting in a report to the head but he takes no notice. In one school we have suddenly had to buy new drives for the server because the old ones are full - 'suddenly' is a bit of an odd word as I have been telling him for the past 18 months that we were running out of room.
    And because we have a management system on the network (schoolcare, if anyone knows it) the server has had to go back to them to be sorted at vast cost.
    I did say that if I got a little bit of help from the techies at the local schools, I could install the drives and put a new system on, utilising windows own 'front end' instead of paying vast amounts of money to a third party - for a system that causes all sorts of problems.
    BUT no one will listen
    Sorry, sometimes I get a bit low about all this
    End of rant!!

Thank Post

Been there and downloaded the tshirt.

Teachers are just people, headteachers, double-so.
    There is no reason for the head to 'ignore' you, your an employee, and therefore just as important as everyone else. Your position in the school is just as critical as other roles. If you have the attitude that noone will listen to you, they probably won't. If you are passionate about what you do, wanting the best for the school you'll probably be noticed more. I try to avoid the 'us against them' style mentality as it gets you nowhere in the long run.

The headteacher is a busy guy, with lots on his plate; don't go to him with problems, go to him with a solution, that will actually work. Don't be afraid to ask for money if you need it, but its always better to have things planned in advance. But timing is essential; If you inform the head that you need to upgrade a room of pc's a week after the budget has been approved by governors, its unlikely he can do anything about it. find out when the budget is drafted and get your wish list in then.

You need to work with the head to provide the best ICT system that you can. He'll recognise what your trying to do with that kind of approach.

I can completely understand where you are coming from as I've been there.

Get inspired!!! Get those old machines working the best you can, sparkling screens and all, take pride in what you do and the head will be more eager to listen to you. It works, honest!

-Kev

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts

@ITWITCH - I can relate to what you're saying my friend. When I started working at my school we were using Windows 95 and Windows 98 workstations running NT4 Server with Tiny Network Manager *eeek!

Initially I thought ok the facilities are rubbish, but on a positive I thought to myself, how can I improve upon this, without making drastic changes? It's a known fact teachers hate change, so migrating to a new system needs careful planning as well as money.

As time went on I began forming relationships with the staff and gaining their confidence in me. This took a long time, however the staff began asking me, "could we do this and could we do that"? From here I worked with the staff to understand their needs, but at the same time justify my needs supporting and managing the new network we wanted to create together.

This resulted in migrating from 95/98 workstations to Windows XP and NT4 Server to 2000 Server (2003 wasn't available at the time). The staff wishes came in the form of - ease of use, shared resources (essentially network drives) and applications standard across the whole school. This essentially meant the introduction of buying site licenses where affordable, so when the network expanded, we were legally covered.
    My supporting and managing the network came in the form of upgrading hubs to switches, NT4 to 2000 Server (on a new server) and the introduction of Active Directory. This all happened over a period of a years, I can guarantee you soon enough the staff at your school will begin to ask of your professional advice and use you to their advantage

Thank Post

Micheal, I don't work for a school now! I got head hunted by Becta, after implementing FITS. I've got my own IT consultancy now Advice Factory ltd, which I have a contract with Becta through; all from being a good network manager. You practically have to be an alchemist, but instead of changing lead into gold, you change sh!t into a state of the art network.

I remember starting as a technican, with an RM lan manager 2.0 network running Windows 3.0 and Some old Nimbus 186's...

-Kev

Thank Post

I actually love my job (both of them) and in fact the report I put in to the head was about solutions, not problems. At work I am extremly positive and work very hard to get the best out of the systems I have - I am helpful and try to do anything I am asked to do if I possibly can. I am aware of the image of an IT person who, when asked to do anythng, sucks his teeth and shakes his head - as I used to work with one.
    (I dont really appreciate being patronised about my attitude to work)
    I am, however, grateful for the advice and will try again with renewed vigour
    BUT as I only work for 8 hours a week at one school and 10 at the other it is very hard to establish the sort of relationships with the staff that are needed. There is also a problem with the staff as the head tends to employ the ones who are not super IT literate, so running a Win 98 system is fine by them as it does everything they want it to do!
    Both my schools are running deficit budgets which makes the whole thing academic at the moment as there is no money for anything at all.
    I really wish I could just get them to see the disaster that is looming - I don't want to sit back and watch them sink and just say 'I told you so!'

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ITWITCH
    There is also a problem with the staff as the head tends to employ the ones who are not super IT literate
    Lol! I know exactly what you mean. Its like in the interview, they ask "Are you any good with computers?" if they answer yes, they dont get the job!

-Kev

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12