+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Group Policy - Disable Roaming of XP/W7 Laptops... in Technical; Hi, We are moving to Windows 7 over the summer. Staff will all have fresh profiles. Laptop upgrades to 7 ...

Thank Post

Group Policy - Disable Roaming of XP/W7 Laptops...

Hi,

We are moving to Windows 7 over the summer. Staff will all have fresh profiles. Laptop upgrades to 7 are going to be staggered after the holiday as staff say they are in use over the holiday period. Laptops are a mix of xp and 7.

Currently staff use roaming profiles, their profiles roam from workstation to workstation and also to their laptops etc..

I would like to stop this and keep their laptop profiles seperate or even non-roaming. Ive often seen wallpapers set on laptops get carried in their profiles to school pcs etc. Dont want our nice fresh profiles bloated out when they bring their laptops back in after the summer.

Is there a way to disable roaming profiles completely on these staff xp/7 laptops and keep profiles roaming on school machines? The laptops are in a completely different OU etc.

Ive seen you can set a different roaming profile location for different computer accounts but I think this is limited to win7. Even with a loopback group policy setting the roaming profile for each section (fav/desktop/appdata) wont competely disable roaming will it?

Any advice please?
    Last edited by burgemaster; 15th June 2013 at 05:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there is a group policy to force local profiles. This way you can keep them on the desktops but not have them on laptops. I will have a gander at our group policies next week to see if i can see it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I think there is a group policy to force local profiles. This way you can keep them on the desktops but not have them on laptops. I will have a gander at our group policies next week to see if i can see it.
    That easy! I think i have been over complicating it in my head..

I think i may have found it:
    Computer Configuration\Admin Templates\System\User Profiles\Only Allow local User Profiles
    "If you enable this setting, the following occurs on the affected computer: At first logon, the user receives a new local profile, rather than the roaming profile. At logoff, changes are saved to the local profile. All subsequent logons use the local profile."

Wonder what will happen to the current roaming profiles cached on the laptops when i enable this! I guess the only way to see is to test it!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is that what you was after? Not sure what will happen to the current ones. I think they would just convert to local and stop roaming.

Why do you not just apply that to your new Windows 7 laptops? So then they get this new setup as the OS gets upgraded.

Thank Post
    Hi,
    Laptops are going to reinstalled way after summer and staff will have used their new profiles on the workstations.
    Ive tested this and your correct it just converts the current profiles to local ones. Ive set this enabled now so i think we are good to go!!

Thank Post
    Don't forget to sort out policies for document syncing as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattianuk View Post
    Don't forget to sort out policies for document syncing as well.
    Think thats going too matey.. more hassle than its worth with staff clicking the wrong buttons and losing work theyve done for period 1. Although I think I remember you said its better with w7?

Thank Post
    I was wary about it, but the only issues I've had is when people with large user areas (over 10gb) try to sync, you need to up the amount of local storage allocated which is easy. I have locked mine down quite a bit, but no real issues, no.

I actually wasn't sure how to work it otherwise, I have given some local storage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread