+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Microsoft Schools Licence Agreeemnt - Is an OS needed to use the agreement? in Technical; Hello I've got a query about the Microsoft Schools licenceing, as I'm being told different things from different suppliers. We're ...

Thank Post

Microsoft Schools Licence Agreeemnt - Is an OS needed to use the agreement?

Hello

I've got a query about the Microsoft Schools licenceing, as I'm being told different things from different suppliers. We're enrolled and paying on the equivalent of FTE staff through our central services.

One supplier has is telling us that we don't need an "individual" licence for each computer, and another is telling us that we do need an individual licence for each computer, and we can then use our agreement to install which ever OS we want onto the PC, but it must have a licence to upgrade from ...

Which is correct? Does each PC need to have an OS bought with it?

Any insight or resources would be useful?

Thanks

Thank Post
    AFAIK - You have to have purchased the PC with an OEM OS licence or have volume licences for all the PCs you have. You cannot buy a PC without a licence and then use the agreement to install the OS.

See here : Can I buy computers with ANY Win7 OEM licence to upgrade with EES?
    Last edited by fiza; 10th June 2013 at 10:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From the MS EES guide
    Licensing Windows Upgrades through EES
    When you license a desktop operating system through this Microsoft Volume Licensing offering, it is important to understand that only the UPGRADE license for Windows is available—FULL operating system licenses are not offered. Prior to licensing a Windows upgrade through your EES desktop platform, you need to have a full underlying license for a qualifying operating system for each PC. (Qualifying operating systems are listed in the Microsoft Volume Licensing Product List.
    You can get the necessary full Windows operating system license in the following two ways:
    · For newly manufactured PCs, the best way to acquire that license is to have the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) preinstall Windows on the PC.
    · If the OEM has not preinstalled Windows on the PC, then you can purchase a full Windows license through retail full-packaged product (FPP).
    If you discover that you have existing PCs that lack the necessary full license for a qualifying operating system, talk to your Microsoft reseller about the Get Genuine Windows Agreement for Academic (GGWA-A). GGWA-A provides a simple, cost-effective way for you to acquire full licenses for Windows 7 Home Premium. These licenses fulfill your requirement for a full qualifying operating system. Once you have acquired the full operating system license, you are then eligible to license those PCs for Windows 7 Enterprise upgrade through EES.
    I have the full guide if you want a copy?
    Last edited by sparkeh; 10th June 2013 at 10:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ur agreement to install which ever OS we want onto the PC, but it must have a licence to upgrade from ...
    That bit is correct. You need a version of Windows or Mac OSX for the PC (OEM or something) to install the volume licence version.

Thank Post
    You must have a licence for that machine already - OEM, Open Licence, Reatil Box.....

You cannot use the agreement to install a new licence on a new machine that doesn't not already have an OS licence.

The schools agreement is in effect and upgrade licence as far as OS is concerned.

Thank Post
    The product licence list, am I reading that correctly that the current list does not include Windows XP? ie we can't use XP as the underlying OS?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The attached says you can.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tubs View Post
    The product licence list, am I reading that correctly that the current list does not include Windows XP? ie we can't use XP as the underlying OS?
    It better be included as thats what we have and are migrating to Win7 using EES licences.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    The attached says you can.
    Aw, they've taken Win3.1 off the list Also notice that Win98 is a qualifying product but ME isn't!?!

Thank Post
    Ah, Page 113 in the Microsoft product List gives the current upgrade grid, and XP (all editions) are still on there for academic.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread