+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, apply group policy offsite on pupil laptops in Technical; it looks like we might be getting some laptops for the 6th form to use and take home as well.. ...

Thank Post

apply group policy offsite on pupil laptops

it looks like we might be getting some laptops for the 6th form to use and take home as well..

ive got them working and so they can log on offsite too.. but when they do the group policy isn't applied.. been searching for a while but not found any working answers yet!

is there anyway to cache the group policy settings on the laptop, so that when they log on offsite they still get the restrictions in place?

thanks in advance..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you caching the logons on the laptops? This should work, as its what I do which my staff laptops. Can you post your Gpo?

Thank Post
    The policy should cache on the PC anyways. Another thing to look into would be setting up direct access (if your notebooks are being kicked with Windows 7 Enterprise on) - that way the PCs would be able to establish a connection back to your domain so long as they had a internet connection.

Thank Post
    What kind of profile are you using? We use mandatory profiles and it seems to work for us. You need to make sure the setting in GPO for roaming profiles (no, I have no idea why a policy about roaming profiles affects mandatory profiles) to delete cached profiles at log off is disabled. We enable offline folders to synchronise whatever the users store in "My Documents" for offline use.

This isn't quite as flexible for users as a roaming profile - if they have to use a different computer for some reason, they don't get all of their settings, but they do get their documents and we get to control the policies.

I don't understand why this doesn't work for roaming profiles, because I haven't had cause to investigate - I'm sure an expert will be along shortly

Edit: Could you make the default temporary profile on the machine match the policies you want to apply? So that it reverts to the locked down settings you need.
    Last edited by jmak; 30th May 2013 at 01:47 PM.

Thank Post
    turns out it was working afterall...

a proper duh moment here...!

i'd set the offsite users up in a new OU...

then setup a new group policy for the two trial users to give them access to USB drives to save their work.. (we dont want to use offline files as the teachers find this hard enough to get their heads around! ) as well as no internet access offsite whilst we look at smoothwall remote guardian..

then forgot to link the new group olicy to the OU! so it wasnt being applied even on the domain!

thanks for the replies though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread