+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Chrome/Intranet permissions problem in Technical; I've somehow messed up access to our IIS Intranet via Chrome. I recently made changes to the group policy for ...
    BJG
    Thank Post

Chrome/Intranet permissions problem

I've somehow messed up access to our IIS Intranet via Chrome. I recently made changes to the group policy for Chrome (though nothing that should have affected this, just homepage stuff) and changed the file permissions on certain .html pages within our Intranet (is there a better way to manage web page security?)

Anyway, now IE still works fine, but when trying to reach certain staff Intranet pages with Chrome, staff get a logon window popping up saying "Authentication required - The server xxxxx requires a username and password". I think this must be connected with my file permission changes, but I don't understand what's gone wrong since staff have the necessary permissions and IE works.

I basically removed "Users" from the permissions and replaced it with "Staff". I left "System" and "Administrators" intact, though I also hit this problem when logged in as an Administrator.

I've tried the option in Chrome to clear the cache. Any thoughts...?
    Last edited by BJG; 2nd May 2013 at 12:56 PM.

BJG
    Thank Post
    I've narrowed this down but I'm still stumped by it.

So, situation is:

There's an Intranet hosted on Server 2008 R2 / IIS with a mixture of pages, some that everyone should be able to access, and some that only staff should be able to see.

If [DOMAIN/USERS] has file permissions over a certain .html web page, then everyone can reach it OK in Chrome and IE.

If [DOMAIN/USERS] is replaced by [DOMAIN/STAFF], then staff can access in IE, students get access denied. Using Chrome, however, staff now get an "authentication required" logon box on that page. I don't know what username/password it wants - admin credentials don't work.
    Last edited by BJG; 3rd May 2013 at 10:24 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread