+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Login Screens - How Have you Got Yours Setup in Technical; Originally Posted by nickbro Just make sure to put a password on the bios and that's fine Yes the BIOS ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    Just make sure to put a password on the bios and that's fine
    Yes the BIOS is password protected.

2. Thanks to DaveP from:

russdev (22nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From memory (couldn't tell you the exact GPO's of hand)...

Standard Win7 logon screen. CTRL,ALT,DEL disabled so waiting for user logon details.
    AUP on logon provided by "AUP Informant" a free program I found here on Edugeek a few years back.
    Custom background - single colour with school logo in top right. Start Menu and Desktop redirected to read only shares on the fileserver.
    Windows 2012 file server with FSRM not allowing execuitables to be saved to home drives or other shared document folders.
    GPO's to stop exe's, etc running from home drives or USB.
    Only users home drives and publich shared drives viewabale in My Computer
    Command prompt disabled
    Properties removed from context menus
    Task Manager and Lock Computer removed from CTL,ALT,DEL screen
    Hide Hardware and Security tab's, Remove Map network drive/disconnect network drive, turn-off Windows hotkeys

And probably a few more besides.

We are pretty much locked down here (or atleast as much as I can work out, I'm sure 1 or 2 kiddies know how to bypass the lot...)

4. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    backgroundDefault.jpg

This is our one

6. Thanks to bwestlake from:

Thank Post
    Do you still have to make the images a certain file size?

8. Thanks to SovietRussia from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    Do you still have to make the images a certain file size?
    Less than 250kb. The images also have to match the resolution of your computer screens - so you put a bunch of them in there of different resolutions to match all your screens.

10. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

russdev (22nd April 2013), SovietRussia (23rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    • We turn off Ctrl+Alt+Del since I haven't seen a virus in the wild that tries to replace the GINA in a very long time. Hackers don't care about local credentials any more, they are more interested in online credentials.
    • No AUP message; had one in my last school and everyone just clicked OK without reading it.
    • Ease of access is left enabled and hasn't caused a problem for us (yet).

We also have a customised background, like most others here.

12. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Thank Post
    No AUP message; had one in my last school and everyone just clicked OK without reading it.
    Yeah, no one reads it but they accept it by clicking on ok. It's a "cover your ass" kinda thing.

14. Thanks to DrCheese from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have an image with the school badge before logon, then a different one without once the user has logged in.

This is because BG Info replaces the users desktop image every time that they log in, and overlays it with PC name, Log On Name and messages from me.

BGInfo resizes a single image to the screen, which distorts our school logo (so we got rid of it).

No AUP (this is assumed nowadays and sent to parents), Students have some AUP guidance on our intranet and in there homework diaries.

16. Thanks to Mr.Ben from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post

BGInfo resizes a single image to the screen, which distorts our school logo (so we got rid of it).
    This is the one thing I think is missing from our user backgrounds. Anyone got any ideas as to the quickes/easiest way to set thsi up for everyone? Install to network share and add a line in logon.bat?

18. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

russdev (23rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some people are saying they don't present an AUP or monitoring notice? We were told by our LEA that because our upstream ISPs (eg. our LEA and then SWGfL) monitor and intercept our communications, we have to present a "Regulatory and Investigatory Powers Act Monitoring Statement".

This is our current one:

Use of the Internet and e-mail via this machine is monitored for violations of acceptable use. LEA monitoring and Schoolname will monitor virus activity, unsuitable language use in e-mail and use of banned applications such as file-sharing software. LEA's Internet Service Provider the RBC Name monitors Internet use including attempts to access illegal websites. All users should be aware that this monitoring is taking place.Violation of the Acceptable Use Policy may result In suspension of Internet AND e-mail accounts AND In some cases disciplinary action may be appropriate including In extreme cases dismissal For gross misconduct AND criminal proceedings.
    The Internet is a wonderful tool For learners but must be used responsibly. LEA AND the RBC have a duty to ensure that all users of their systems follow rules For acceptable Use. Users are required to act responsibly when using Internet systems so that all can enjoy safe Internet access. By clicking accept below, you agree that you understand monitoring is taking place AND that your Use of this system will be responsible.
    Last edited by localzuk; 23rd April 2013 at 09:18 AM.

20. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    We have the AUP before the login screen, clicking 'OK' is acceptance of the AUP and you are taken to the login screen. The background we have is the standard Win7 one, I'd love to change it to the company logo but the back ground would be white, as would the text at the login screen and I'm not sure how to change the colour of the text.

We have a globe in our company logon and I have managed to get it to appear in the Icon box on the login screen whether someone logs in or not... Don't ask me how as I can t remember!!!!

22. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    This is the one thing I think is missing from our user backgrounds. Anyone got any ideas as to the quickes/easiest way to set thsi up for everyone? Install to network share and add a line in logon.bat?
    We started using BGInfo when we were still on XP. I thought, perhaps, that when we moved to Windows 7 it might no longer work but it ported over OK.

We have a separate logon script to set the student background for students and staff when they logon: Green wallpaper for staff and blue for students [makes it easy to see from a distance if a member of staff has left themselves logged on and a student is now using their station: This has happened in the past]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have four seasonal backgrounds that we move between, just because it looks nice. Unintended benefit: when I pull a laptop/hot swap machine out and it still has the autumn background, I know I need to plug it in and run updates for a while before I hand it out. I just copy over the relevant source files once a quarter and GPP does the rest.

background1024x768.jpg background1024x768.jpg background1024x768.jpg background1024x768.jpg
    (PNGs/PSDs available on request, y'all)

Logon screen waits for Ctrl-Alt-Del; I don't know about the likelihood of viruses, but on XP (when we didn't require it) girls would fill the username box with spaces and then hit home, so that the next person logging on would get a logon failure (as technically they were trying to log on as "username " (with more spaces than HTML will display)).

We don't display last logon name either, because otherwise you'd just be deleting that username all the time. I wish the lock screen would still remember it though.

EDIT (cos I forgot to say): with regards to AUP acceptance, our desktop backgrounds all include the line "By using this computer you agree to abide by the Acceptable Use Policy", which is obviously ignored but covers our behinds. I didn't think there was much point in putting up pop-up boxes etc. as they will be ignored just as much but will annoy people with the extra click. May as well make it painless if it's pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    The school badge is above the username/password box and a version of the trim around our compliments slip wraps around the bottom and left of the screen. We do this by changing the oobe.bmp

I found that branding the background with the logo in the right place made the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to logon" message unreadable as it floated right above the logo. Even if you disable Ctrl-Alt-Del, any permanent logo messes with the security screen menu. I, like many others, would like a way of either filling the logo in intelligently, or getting rid of that frame entirely
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 23rd April 2013 at 12:16 PM.

25. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

MordyT (23rd April 2013)

Thank Post
    ^ Your logo switching annoys me lol. If i was doing your backgrounds i would have flipped some of the images over

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeky View Post
    ^ Your logo switching annoys me lol. If i was doing your backgrounds i would have flipped some of the images over
    I wanted a bit of variety it looks weird when they're all posted together but given that every computer only changes 4 times a year it's not particularly noticeable IRL.

28. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

russdev (26th April 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast