+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Iomega eGo Encrypt Plus Hard drives in Technical; Predominatly the network is XP. I got given a few of these hard drives to reset the admin passwords on. ...

Thank Post

Iomega eGo Encrypt Plus Hard drives

Predominatly the network is XP.

I got given a few of these hard drives to reset the admin passwords on.
    So I hook them up to my Win7 laptop, load the software and reset the admin passwords, safely remove them and pass them back to the owners.

After half-term, I get a message saying that everyone who has had the password change now cannot access their hard drives.

I haven't reformatted these, merely used Iomega's own software to log in as an administrator and change the admin password.

I log in as admin on the machines, connect the device up, and it hangs in device manage with a lovely exclaimation mark. Ok, remove and reinstall the drivers. So I do that.

Near to the end of the reinstallation, I get a message prompt pop up and say to me:

An Error occured during the installation of the device:
    The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary
    entry.
    This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later.
    Contact your Hardware vendor.

Fantastic, it doesn't work. I change the install path to the commonly known folders where the USB files hide (i386 folder - have a copy on C:, windows system - windows system32 etc) Still get the same message.

Plug them back into my Win7 laptop, all is hunky dory and working. Back into XP, dead as a dodo.

I have even reinstalled the eGo Ecrypt Plus software back onto the machines.

Can anyone shed any light on this, and offer a solution? (Please don't say upgrade all users to Win7, cannot be done).

Iomega are rubbish, their FAO's just tell me to do what I have already done, forums are just moderators pointing to KB articles in their FAOs. Hard drives are out of warranty.

Thank Post
    No one?

A quick update:

I was able to take a drive back to my office (XP machine).
    Plugged in and worked as it should.

Computer Management > Device Manage > Driver > Driver details - This pointed to two files loaded in System32/drivers.
    Copied these to the school, used one machine as a test machine and replaced the 2 files (files were in the folder anyway).

No luck, do I need to register these 2 files?

FXUSBFILTER.sys and USBSTOR.sys

When I look at the driver details in the school, it says none are available for this device.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread