+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, windows client side caching in Technical; we have csc enabled on all machines in our network and I'm consistently find problems with hard drives filling up. ...

Thank Post

windows client side caching

we have csc enabled on all machines in our network and I'm consistently find problems with hard drives filling up. I can easily delete the CSC folder but the problem returns pretty quickly and it's time consuming...

How do I go about disabling CSC and if I do, will it have any effect on the way the network runs?

I know this is a numpty question but the tech support we use (forced on us by parent company) are based 200km away and won't send anyone out and rarely if ever answer e-mail or phones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts

Re: windows client side caching

You can turn it off with group policy, your support guys will probably have to do it if you don't have access to gpo's.

It still shouldn't fill up a hard drive unless it's been set to use all available space.

We only use it on laptops I see no need for it on desktops.

Ben

Thank Post

Only come across this problem once before... with a Vaio with only a 15gb c:\ partition and a 55gb d:\

I used a 2k resource kit tool called cachemov to move the csc folder to the larger partition. Problem solved

But like Plexer said, check the amount of allocated space for offline files. I can't think of a scenario where you would allocate all available space to offline files - unless you have a minute c:\

Just out of interest... if you delete the CSC folder doesn't that bugger up your sync'ing? Just sounds a bit dangerous to me!!

Thank Post

sorry should have said delete the contents of the CSC folder (this amount to 60GB of data!!!!!)
    Have come up with an interim solution till I can get the support guys in by disabling offline files. This seems to work and I haven't had any reports of loss of functionality...
    Chris

Thank Post

The space setting only applies to automatic caching. IIRC, if you have caching of redirected shares enabled (as is by default) then it won't be included in this space limit, so it WILL just fill up the hard drive - I had this problem.
    This won't affect your network performance at all. Windows only uses the cached copies if the network is not available. Unless you have staff with laptops, you can keep it switched off.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread