+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Apple Help in Technical; Thanks for the info Guys ... Well it looks as If we are going down the Apple Path.. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. We ...
    Thank Post

Re: Apple Help

Thanks for the info Guys ... Well it looks as If we are going down the Apple Path.. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..

We already are having an XServer installed in the Music Block so that killed that arguement..

Anyway... learning is good...

What are good quick courses/Books for learning Apples and XServer ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ric_: I see your point; but how many of us use HP/Dell and get expensive PCs which are the same price as macs?

We can get 30 mid-range (P4, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD) unbranded PCs for £9k and there's an IT suite that can run all apps on the network. The cheapest imac on the apple store is £680. I understand there will probably be education discounts, but how far will £9k get you buying apple crap?

Thank Post

@webman: Believe it or not, many people do buy branded machines because they tend to be more reliable and you know what level of service to expect.

20" iMacs (2GHz Core2Duo, 1GB, 250GB hard disk) is approx. £639 but for that you get your 20" widescreen monitor and iLife which is good for KS3 music and media studies.

Like I said, they aren't for everyone and IMHO you should always use what fits the job best... be it Mac, PC, PDA, desktop, laptop... Macs just happen to be good at multimedia so why not use them for it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why not? Well... the reasons mentioned here in this thread Added costs - purchase, training, configuration, time, working on issues if you're not familiar with how it works or want to integrate it. If you don't already have macs, why go to the extra hassle (if you're not familiar with it) and expense when simply buying additional software to run on the existing network will do just as well?

It seems people go for macs simply because they think they're the only solution to doing graphics, music, video etc. or because they supposedly "look good". I personally believe they're not very good value for money and the overheads of getting them up & running on an existing network far outweigh any possible advantages they may have.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

The overheads of getting them up and running are not that high IME.

It cost us a Mac Mini and OS X Server (unlimited), and external storage device for images and ARD unlimited licence.

It took me less time to research and set up the deployment than it did for RIS to be setup (by an experience windows admin) or to migrate to WDS (by a team of 3).

I know some of it is down to personal experience but the educational experience that students get from having a different platform available to them readily outweighs any perceived increase in overheads.

Then again ... the reason why we do not have a linux solution rolled out in various areas is that the overhead of getting the setup right, retraining staff, etc is too high at the moment ... so I can see where you are coming from ... even though I know that introducing any new OS or system has cost and time implications.

For us it made sense for the other OS to be OS X as it fitted in with many other things we were doing.

I am not saying I am right and you are wrong ... just that I am right for *my* school *at this time*.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries

In my opinion Apple Macs are a good resource in schools, it will build the mac skills of the students so should they get a job in the feature they can say "yes i can use an apple mac". I wish i had that opportunity when i was at school all the machines were Windows. I have only just starting using an apple and i think they are fantastic and Apple maybe the way forward.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Mac users would "be just as happy with crayons and finger paints!"

Best. BOFH. Ever. :P

Thank Post

Our school is the other way round, 2 thirds mac, 1 third PC...

Dual platform does double your skill set which is a good thing (for your CV) and a bad thing (for your workload)..

Macs have some great advantages in the areas of imaging etc, but also some disadvantages in the areas of service. All our Dells are purchased with 3 year onsite warranty. Apple doesn't provide this service in Europe, so all faulty machines have to go offsite for repair which can take some time if they can't get the parts..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12