Is it a SBS server?
Is it a SBS server?
Nope 'Standard Edition' with sp1
Does it have the 'Terminal Services' Role?
Running out of options me thinks :?
Out of ideas now.
lol - thanks anyway
Solved it - or should I say my technician did ops:
Turned out that for some reason the SUS SQL server was not running ops:
Moral of the story - check the obvious
I'm now going to hide somewhere ops:
I have a problem with my WSUS server. Its almost working properly but I get this message on the main admin screen under the to do list:
Check your server configuration
One or more Update Service components could not be contacted. Check your server status and ensure that the Windows Server Update Service is running. Non-running services: SelfUpdate
When my server tries to update it gets to 33% of the download before failing. When my other clients try to update they don't get past 0%.
I've tried everything suggested on this page - http://www.wsuswiki.com/SelfUpdateTreeisnotworking - but I am beginning to think I might need to reinstall it again.
Two things that could be causing the problem though:
1. I have SUS still installed, somewhere, I deleted all the downloaded files and deleted the settings from IIS. But I got lots of error messages this morning telling me it couldn't sync.
2. I am trying to run all the upates from the original windows update site as I do not have room on my server to store the files.
Was your wsus ever working or is it a new install.. Do your updates get downloaded from your server or directly from the ms site?
Its a new install and its never worked with regards to updating clients, I only have one computer that has tried to download and install updates, that failed. The updates are supposed to come from MS site.
Ok at the min i think it could be 1 of 2 things or may be both... if your computers are not appearing on you wsus server then there is a problem with you wsus gpo config and in particular the 'Specify intranet Microsoft update service location'. This should be something like 'http://servername' and if you have not changed the port number on the wsus server it should be 'http://servernameortnumber'. The second thing you should check is on the clients and its the winhttp settings, type proxycfg on an xp machine and you will get a the winhttp proxy setting (its not your ie proxy). This should be set if you have a proxy (i assume you have) and you should also set it to bypass the proxy for your server. Hope that helps.
Do you have ssl enabled for the site? I turned it on here after it complained, only to discover that you can only enable ssl for certain folders.
It was nothing in proxycfg causing the problems. Is there a setting for it in GPO or do I have to make a script for all the 2000/XP workstations ?
I haven't tried ssl yet but I shall watch out for that.
As far as i know there is not gpo setting (annoying i know, not to mention stupid but are you really surprised with MS) so what i did was to run a logon script. I created a gpo that ran a bat file when the computers starts up, the bat file just ran proxycfg to set the appropriate settings ie
proxycfg -p proxy.lea.orgortnumber server1;server2;"<local>"
I set the gpo to run on all computers on the network and left it on for a week then disabled it(hopefully most of the computers would have been turned on by then, laptops are a problem tho).
In addition to apeo's comments, I use group policy to set the proxy settings for IE.
I then run this line on the login script
This imports the setiings from IE to winHTTP so it keeps everything up to date.
With this in mind I would like to add that I cannot get WSUS to work either! I get a message on the WSUS home page about no computers are set up even though they are according to the WSUS GPOs. This is on a new windows 2003 sp1 server. IT's a shame because SUS worked immediatley on our old 2000 server. I've given up for the time being!
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)