+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, out of space on backup server in Technical; the backup for the "av" drive at one of my schools is now bigger than the space on the backup ...

Thank Post

out of space on backup server

the backup for the "av" drive at one of my schools is now bigger than the space on the backup servers raid array. As its raid 1 (hp microserver so unfortunately cant do raid 5) is it reasonable to just rebuild that one array as raid 0 as it is non critical data (im leaving the other array raid 1 for user data etc but thats only got 600gb left but is bigger than the drive its backing up). Normally i wouldnt consider raid 0 but as its just a backup and its non critical data any opinions welcome

Thank Post
    Is it truly non critical?

If you're looking to do this, personally I'd approach the management team and put options to them. 1) to get bigger drives with a costing for this and 2) to do your option, but be sure to explain your option means whilst data is backed up, the backup doesn't have the redundancy element to it.

This way, if they choose the "we don't have to spend any money" option, it's not on your head should suddenly the drives fail and all of a sudden the stuff being backed up is needed to be restored.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Is it truly non critical?

If you're looking to do this, personally I'd approach the management team and put options to them. 1) to get bigger drives with a costing for this and 2) to do your option, but be sure to explain your option means whilst data is backed up, the backup doesn't have the redundancy element to it.

This way, if they choose the "we don't have to spend any money" option, it's not on your head should suddenly the drives fail and all of a sudden the stuff being backed up is needed to be restored.
    its mainly crap recorded from bbc so barnaby bear, magic grandad etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    its mainly crap recorded from bbc so barnaby bear, magic grandad etc
    Which is fair enough, but still, to cover your own back I'd probably have words with management. I know personally I'd always push for the bigger drives and run it in RAID1 as a minimum, but at least if they make the call, it stops you getting the "why have we lost this all again"

Just my 2p worth

Thank Post
    fair point i suppose 2 3tb drives arnt that expensive

Thank Post
    be careful with 3TB drives.. Windows Server Backup doesn't support Advanced Format Disks: Problem with Windows Server Backup 2008 R2 with Advanced Format (4K) drive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    be careful with 3TB drives.. Windows Server Backup doesn't support Advanced Format Disks: Problem with Windows Server Backup 2008 R2 with Advanced Format (4K) drive.
    im using robocopy to back it up so not an issue

Thank Post
    I use a HP Microserver with FreeNAS as an ISCSI target for one of my DPM servers. Was a bit flakey using the onboard NIC so I put in another NIC and it's been perfect. So what I'm getting at is you can use software RAID with something like FreeNAS for an application like this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I use a HP Microserver with FreeNAS as an ISCSI target for one of my DPM servers. Was a bit flakey using the onboard NIC so I put in another NIC and it's been perfect. So what I'm getting at is you can use software RAID with something like FreeNAS for an application like this.
    in theory i COULD but its also a 2008 box with mdt/wds/sophos enterprise console on it so redoing it as freenas (which i have one doing in another school) isnt an option nor really is doing much with the d drive array just the e drive array

not had any issues with the onboard nic being flakey though i will admit its not fast when imaging pcs

Thank Post
    Or use an eSATA JBOD to add more disk and do software RAID in Windows? Something like Icy Box IB-3640SU3 External 4-bay JBOD system for 3.5" SATA HDDs with USB 3.0 & eSATA Host - Scan.co.uk

Of course you are nearly up to the price of another Micrososerver which would be a better solution.

Thank Post
    I would point out that you have run out of disk space and try and get some money to invest in a larger backup solution. Something that you can run seperately from all those other services

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread