We use Mdaemon / Worldclient as our email solution.
One thing that bugs me is if students email themselves work they quite often click on the attachment which gives them the option to "open or save.....", they quite often click save, which puts the WORD document or whatever in a temp location on the C:\ drive...they then carry on editing the docuement, save and quit then realize it's not saved in their H:\ drive and they have no access to the C:\ drive to retrieve it....
Is it possible to force users to save a document from a website link?
We are using IE9.
Better off searching these forums for pupils saving from email attachments as I recall some solutions posted. Going down the route of modifying the windows open or save won't be the way forward I think.
I found the answer here:
To Change IE9 and IE10 Default "Save" Download Location in Registry
1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and press Enter.
2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes (Windows 7/8) or Continue (Vista).
3. In regedit, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
4. In the right pane of Main, double click/tap on Default Download Directory to modify it. (see screenshot above)
5. Type in the full path of the folder that you want IE9 or IE10 to save downloads to by default, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)
6. Close regedit.
I then added this key to our lockdown IE policy for students and first testing suggests it works...
This only affects the default SAVE area - when they click OPEN it still puts it in a random IE folder in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Temporary Internet Files......
You have several options but none are ideal I think. You could modify the page/system which contains the link to the word (aka mail server) to force file saves by sending the correct header (may work).
Also I think disabling the word addon's in IE which should force them to save, you can test by running IE in no addons mode. This can be deployed via GP too although its a bit of pain, I have done this before to disable pdf's opening in browser via acrobat and also disable java.
Last edited by ZeroHour; 7th March 2013 at 02:02 PM.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)