+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Promethean ActivStudio 3: Problem Obtaining Valid Path For.. in Technical; I am seeing this error when I try to run Promethean ActivStudio 2 or 3 at my newly imaged stations: ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

Promethean ActivStudio 3: Problem Obtaining Valid Path For..

I am seeing this error when I try to run Promethean ActivStudio 2 or 3 at my newly imaged stations:

Problem Obtaining Valid Path For Application.

I have Googled the error and I get 29 hits, the first of which is this one: Hit 1 This was posted some time ago and there have been no replies.

I suspect that this may be a permissions issue, but I installed and tested the new software in the same way as all the other new software to be included in my images. There was no sign of any problem with ActivStudio 2 or 3 then.

I only found this problem today after running ActivStudio 3 at a station after it had been imaged, so I have not had time to do much work on this. I changed the permissions on the ActivStudio 3 folder giving the staff group specifically permissions instead of the inherited permissions from the folder above [C:\Program Files\] This did not cure it.

I am sure that I will get to the bottom of this, but what bothers me most about this is:

1. Installing and testing ActivStudio 3 does not show any signs of any problems.

2. Installing ActivStudio 3 causes ActivStudio 2 to show the same fault, even though they are installed in separate folders and ActivStudio 2 also showed no problems during testing.

I thought that I would leave version 2 in the image to give staff the option of using version 2 or 3 until I had deployed version 3 at all the whiteboard stations. I then planned to remove version 2 from the image.

Ideas anyone?

Thank Post

Re: Promethean ActivStudio 3: Problem Obtaining Valid Path For..

you'll have a debug version of as3 in the programs folder (AS3PED.EXE) run this, it will pause when you get that error, the item it freezes on may be what is causing the problem.

Thank Post

I get this error with v2 when a system is not fully logged into network.

Occasionally when a teacher logs in the mapped network paths are not correctly setup and then the error occurs.

If they are logged into the computer as a local user or the network login succeeds (it does most of the time) then there is no problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StuartC
    you'll have a debug version of as3 in the programs folder (AS3PED.EXE) run this, it will pause when you get that error, the item it freezes on may be what is causing the problem.
    Thanks for that. I will give it a go. What I would really like to know is what caused it and why did it take out Version 2 also. What else could it have affected on the station?

Thank Post

Re: Promethean ActivStudio 3: Problem Obtaining Valid Path F

We have just moved to active 3 from 2 however we did a complete install of 3 and have not had any problems so far.

Regards Phreadlock

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I had the same problem as you. what i ended up doing was uninstalling 2 and 3 and reinstalling . I found out that activestudio does not like to be imaged try a full uninstall and reinstall. this is due to some of the data files being stored in personal profile which are reset during image i belive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I am now getting the same error at a station where Version 2 was NEVER installed [I am developing a new image for a laptop which will not accept any of my other station images]

I will try the debug exe as suggested by StuartC.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

OK. I have now run the debug exe and the result is shown in the picture attached. I am beginning to suspect that it might be a domain issue, because the local administrator can run it without issue. What the problem might be though I can't imagine as ActivStudio 2 runs fine on other stations and would run OK on this station if I were to install it I am sure. I don't want to install version 2 though because I want to eliminate a Promethean USB service start up problem we see on several stations here.

I have adjusted the permissions on the folders on the station:

C:\Program Files\
    C:\Documents and Settings\
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ACTIV Software\
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ACTIV Software\Activstudio3

All to no avail.

Help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post

hmm, that should be the users documents folder:

c:\documents and settings\%username%\my documents\

How is that set up on these machines, it appears to be unable to read the path. How does the path appear under usershellfolders in the registry?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

OK I think I may have sorted this now.

The test users I was using were at fault. ops: When I logged on as a 'real' teacher it worked like a dream. I had thought about not entering this post and saving my blushes but then I thought others might be having the same 'problem' and this could be their answer also. So here it is.

Thank Post
    Hi DaveP,

Wondering if you would share with me what was wrong with the test users as I have the same problem. I have narrowed it down to the user but can't work out what is wrong with them! I really don't want to delete the users account or profile and would really like to fix the users account

I realize that this problem happened quite a while ago for you so if you can't remember no worries

EDIT: I found the problem I was having was when a user logged onto a laptop with their network profile (cached) off the network. I found AS doesn't load when it doesn't have access to the "My documents" folder which it would normally use on the network. I have in the end just setup a local account to the laptop for the user to use off the network (Which is probably better anyway).

Thanks
    Last edited by FatBoy; 22nd October 2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Update

Thank Post

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Hi DaveP,

EDIT: I found the problem I was having was when a user logged onto a laptop with their network profile (cached) off the network. I found AS doesn't load when it doesn't have access to the "My documents" folder which it would normally use on the network. I have in the end just setup a local account to the laptop for the user to use off the network (Which is probably better anyway).

Thanks
    Problem Obtaining Valid Path For Application.

I know this is a bit of a late response but if anyone else is having this problem I have found a fix. We are running a RM CC3 network and the locally cached profile wouldn't launch Active Studio 3. I tried everything giving the user C: access and messing with Group policies in the end the below patch fixed it.

ActivStudio v3.7.19 Update - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

Hope this helps

Matt
    Last edited by matt_shore; 13th May 2009 at 12:45 PM.

13. Thanks to matt_shore from:

ful56_uk (13th May 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread