+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Adobe CS3 silent install in Technical; Can't say I'm exactly very happy with the either the support from Adobe, or the software installation process itself. Quite ...

Thank Post

Adobe CS3 silent install

Can't say I'm exactly very happy with the either the support from Adobe, or the software installation process itself.

Quite a few people have insisted that they can install via MSI and GP now... but I can't find any guides on this... Does anyone have a link to the above solution in the way of deploying over Group Policy...

*gives a cheer* Yay for pointless errors!

Any solutions to Error 7?

I did the batch file way as part of a computer startup script (as well as racking the GP Timeout thingy to 8 hours - enough time to install...

Thank Post

Re: Adobe CS3 silent install

Hi Lithium

You can deploy Adobe CS3 using Group Policy - here is how I have done it...

First I needed to be able to avoid using UNCs (\\name) - the install routine fails if you try this. So I made a temporary network drive (z that pointed to the Adobe CS3 subdirectory of the image of the CD on my server.

I ran -
    z:\Setup.exe --mode=Silent --deploymentFile="z:\install.xml"

In the same directory as the install.xml is the application.xml.override file.

It is worth trying a manual interactive deploy on a machine first because the install routines does not log any useful failure reasons.

Things to beware of
    1) The install checks the screen resolution - it WILL FAIL if it is less than 1024x768
    2) The install checks for memory - you need a minimum of 384Mb
    3) The install checks for Disk - you need at least 4.4Gb free on c:
    4) It takes a very long time - You need to ensure that Group Policy does not time out. I ended up setting the timeout to 30 minutes!! (Even on new high spec systems with Gb network)

Hope that helps.

Thank Post

manual installs all work :/

all the other stuffs are ok...

I have a feeling after an attempted look into the log file %commonprogramfiles%/adobe/installers that it's not taking my key, which is correct... so whether it's in the wrong place or what...

EDIT: posting ambitiously... I removed all but Flash, Fireworks & Dreamweaver from the isntall.xml file... and it's running (well... it has been for 5 minutes and Defender is shouting at me)

I might just put a copy of app.xml.or into every folder imaginable in the pitiful attempt to protect the remains of my sanity.

Thank Post

Things I tried to get this to work (some may well be unnecessary) !

1 Enter serial number without the dashes "-".

2 No blank spaces at end of lines in application.xml.override (placed in "AdobeMasterCollectionSuiteen_US_Volume" in our case)

3 Be aware of spaces and case(!) in paths.

4 Use setup.exe --record=1 to generate your own install.xml file - using supplied install.xml (in "deployment") didn't work.

5 Use command line like

path to..\Setup.exe --mode=Silent --deploymentFile=pathto..\cs3all.install.xml

I couldn't find a way to deploy as a group policy msi and trying as a startup script only installed the shared components, I assumed because being run as local SYSTEM - maybe a drive mapping or timout issue as mentioned above.

In the end, ensured rooms switched on and did roomfuls using PSexec to run the command remotely.

Tim

Thank Post

TimH, thanks you saved me a lot of time, the --record=1 worked a treat.

I am deploying by group policy, the install only works when run as a logged on user, they are idiots at Adobe, because they are using environment variables not available at startup.

So I use a startup script that looks like this:

C:\WINNT\system32\REG.EXE QUERY HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uni nstall\{60B28ECA-78BC-4D18-AB63-4A9A93BF881D}
    IF ERRORLEVEL==1 GOTO Logon
    IF ERRORLEVEL==0 GOTO END

:Logon

TITLE Add local install account
    C:\Winnt\System32\NET.EXE LOCALGROUP Administrators domain\user /ADD

TITLE Set Auto Logon
    c:\winnt\system32\REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V DisableCAD /D 1 /T REG_DWORD /F
    c:\winnt\system32\REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V ForceAutoLogon /D 1 /F
    c:\winnt\system32\REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V AutoAdminLogon /D 1 /F
    c:\winnt\system32\REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V DefaultDomainName /D Domain /F
    c:\winnt\system32\REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V DefaultUserName /D user /F
    c:\winnt\system32\REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V DefaultPassword /D password /F
    ECHO AutoLogonSet >C:\Winnt\AutoLogonSet.txt
    C:\WINNT\system32\REG.EXE ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ru n" /V "AdobeCreativeSuite3DesignStandardVL" /D "\\server\AdobeCreativeSuite3MasterCollectionVL\In stallAdobeCreativeSuite3MasterCollectionVL.cmd" /F

C:\Winnt\System32\SHUTDOWN.EXE /r /t 02
    GOTO END

:END

The install script called InstallAdobeCreativeSuite3MasterCollectionVL.cmd looks like this:

C:\WINNT\system32\REG.EXE QUERY HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uni nstall\{60B28ECA-78BC-4D18-AB63-4A9A93BF881D}
    IF ERRORLEVEL==1 GOTO Install
    IF ERRORLEVEL==0 GOTO END

:Install
    TITLE Install AdobeCreativeSuite3MasterCollectionVL
    \\server\AdobeCreativeSuite3MasterCollectionVL\set up.exe --mode=silent --deploymentFile="\\server\AdobeCreativeSuite3Master CollectionVL\deployment\custominstall.xml"

TITLE Remove local install account
    C:\Winnt\System32\NET.EXE LOCALGROUP Administrators domain\user /DELETE

C:\WINNT\system32\REG.EXE DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ru n" /V "AdobeCreativeSuite3MasterCollectionVL" /F

TITLE Remove Auto Logon
    c:\winnt\system32\REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V DisableCAD /D 0 /T REG_DWORD /F
    C:\WINNT\system32\REG.exe DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V ForceAutoLogon /F
    C:\WINNT\system32\REG.exe ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V AutoAdminLogon /D 0 /F
    C:\WINNT\system32\REG.exe DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V DefaultPassword /F
    c:\winnt\system32\REG.exe DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V DefaultDomainName /F
    c:\winnt\system32\REG.exe DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /V DefaultUserName /F

:Restart
    C:\Winnt\System32\SHUTDOWN.EXE /r /t 02

:END

This works on hundreds of desktops in labs, it is not suitable for use staff desktops of laptops due to the autologon required.

Tony

Thank Post

Hi everyone I am new to posting here but I have read many solutions here that have helped me out. I am trying to install adobe cs3 on every machine in our building (we are on gigabit LAN). I created a batch file that will check to see if it is already installed before trying to install again. The silent install seems to be working somewhat, but it does not finish the install, it only installs about 3 components with no error messages.

Has anyone had any success installing this suite via GPO?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries

Right I will get a full guide live within the next too weeks. The geek conference and V2 of the geek is taking up a lot of time right now.
    Here is a deployment script though for you all to use.
    Look for the {} tags to see what to change. It will try to log things in the event log using a function I made.
    I have not actually tested it as we used WinINSTALL to call the command but it should work as is. Please remember adobe seems to assume your deployment path is in the "deployment" sub directory so you dont need to specify it.
    My script does not test for path etc as Adobe can change reg keys and file paths with each bloody patch. Also unless you check each features file path (aka for photoshop.exe or indesign.exe) you wont be sure each feature is fully installed. It will create a tag file that it uses to determine if its installed but reinstalling using this method should *hopefully* work too.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

Sounds like it'd be easier to make a new image and deploy that over the network!

We're getting CS3 soon- Thats the way we'll be making the install

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by richard.thomas
    Sounds like it'd be easier to make a new image and deploy that over the network!

We're getting CS3 soon- Thats the way we'll be making the install
    We're now putting it in the image.

I've no idea how Adobe have made such a pig's ear of this installation process. I don't know if they are probably trying to use something similar for Mac and PC which would make it a bit more difficult but this is just rubbish!

I also don't know why it takes so long to install - it's not that big a package!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts

Oh great we have this.

I just tried to install it on a teachers laptop for him to use next week and the installer failed telling me it needed 1gb ram?

Ben

Thank Post

Also is it possible to get say the flash 9 msi to install without running it from setup?

Ben

Thank Post

Well it looks like setup.exe and the installer from the CD wants your machine to have 1gb of ram but if you download the installers from adobe, flash 9 and dreamweaver only state 512mb ram.

Ben

Thank Post

I installed this 6 months ago and it was a pig! In the end the only way to get it on the machine was to do a machine re-build. Apparently the install is supposed to uninstall previous versions of flash but it can't. I did try to do this manually but it kept failing. Finally went with the re-build option and installed it before any flash and it was fine. There are plenty of comments on the adobe support site..........

Thank Post

I gave up with unattended installs in the end.

They work for <10 computers, when a room gets asked it messes up and usually ends up just installing the shared applications - which you have to remove before a new install actually does anything useful.

I did decide in the end to nick an image of the PC's with it all on so I don't lose sanity too badly next time

The installer from the DVD's we have wants 1GB, BUT... when run from the network source - it's entirely random as to whether you need 1GB or 512MB... I've installed it with 512MB in a room.... with identical PC's... but for some reason (I think because I dropped the stick on a carpet) 1 has 512MB... but it installed fine... go to another PC... no chance!

768MB is the minimum to install the LOT, but it'll have a moan at you.

I had deployed Flash via Group Policy using the licensing from the Adobe Site for MSI's of Flash & Shockwave - but this beast appears to have broken that too

http://www.adobe.com/support/shockwa...nsing/faq.html <-- if anyone needs a link (I think...)

Thank Post

Using Variables in install.xml

So I got the silent install to work fine over a network source but I would ultimately like to deploy from DVD. I can use variables to find the deployment file (install.xml) with the silent command line, but It does not seem to recognize variables in the xml file. I always get an exit code 7 and in the logfile it states that it can't find the INSTALLDIR location. When I use drive letters it works no problem. So even though I can run the DVD from any drive letter it will only install if the system disk is C: and the DVD drive is D: ... Does anyone know of a work around?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast