+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Adobe CS3 silent install in Technical; Did anyone find a resolution to deploying this silently? I have the master suite collection which has 4 dvds. Ive ...

Thank Post
    Did anyone find a resolution to deploying this silently? I have the master suite collection which has 4 dvds. Ive transfered all the payloads from disc 2,3 and 4 to the payloads folder that was on disc 1 (Disk 1 was copied to the server)

I still get the error code 7 when doing a silent install.

I can do a manual install of everything when run from the server share and it take 12mins.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Looking for help! I have a volume license for Adobe CS3 {mac} with serial number but I cannot locate the install discs. Can someone point me in the right direction- or do any of you have an install disc that I could loan?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I've no idea how Adobe have made such a pig's ear of this installation process. I don't know if they are probably trying to use something similar for Mac and PC which would make it a bit more difficult but this is just rubbish!
    Adobe actually outsourced the installer work to a company called Blue Flavor. It seems Adobe left it all to the last minute and needed something quick before releasing CS3.

In the summer of 2006, Adobe came to Blue Flavor with a unique challenge—to create a cross-platform solution for the installation user-experience of their flagship product Creative Suite 3 (CS3).

Using XHTML, CSS, and Javascript, Blue Flavor and Adobe were able to create a single installer which was not only the first to combine Adobe and Macromedia’s products, but also the first used for the individual product installations themselves.

While Adobe’s development team had in-house resources to complete the project, they contacted Blue Flavor to help them meet their rapidly approaching deadlines. We sat down with Kevin Stewart, Adobe Engineering Manager for the project, to talk about the CS3 Installer. About selecting a vendor, Kevin said, “several people in Adobe recommended Blue Flavor to our team based on positive past experiences. Once we looked at their portfolio and discussed our needs with them, Blue Flavor seemed like a good fit.”

Creating a cross-platform installer
    Kevin explained the problem the installer development team faced: “Previous installers were custom-built and used platform-specific user interface controls.” An installer needed to be built for both Windows and Macintosh versions of the suite, which would increase the amount of work for the team. “The development team chose DHTML as the solution, creating a cross-platform installer built on web technologies like XHTML, CSS and Javascript. This created a more consistent user experience, making it easier to customize for various products and suite versions as well as reducing overall development time and complexity.”

But the fun didn’t end there. Blue Flavor provided some user experience and interface design help, working on the UI for drive selection screens as well as some heavy scripting. “The development team needed some additional expertise in implementing an engaging design to support the underlying functionality.” For example, the installer needed to use AJAX to control the experience of the installer, capture user data, and communicate back and forth with the user’s system. And of course it needed to support multiple platforms and systems, as well as be web standards-compliant and accessible to people with disabilities.

Adobe’s team was working on a fairly aggressive timeline. On top of this, the installer needed to be incrementally added into weekly builds and had several dependencies that were not yet finalized by other groups. By fully separating design from the underlying application logic, we were able to make dramatic changes to the user interface ito match the new Creative Suite branding requirements and satisfy various stakeholders within the organization. (Source)
    The reason the installer takes so long to install CS3 is explained below...

Why the CS3 installer takes forever and a day, just look at this excerpt from the 71 meg log file it generates:

[...]

Yes, that is right. Adobe’s CS3 installer copies each file individually, then checks the proper GID and UID for the path to the file, and sets it. One at a time. It takes 45 minutes for this 4 gig install to process, while a Final Cut Studio installation of 2x the size using a .pkg installs in just 20 minutes or so (if you don’t install the extra files, just the single DVD-9 full of stuff). It uses an excessive amount of CPU time just to copy each file, doing a permissions lookup on each file, and then changing flags on each file. The most frustrating aspect of the Adobe Installer is that there is nothing it is doing that couldn’t be done with OS X’s built in Installer.app. I mean it is literally copying files from one relative path to a definitive path on the target volume. It is then making sure that the files have proper permissions and settings. And then it serializes the app from the application.xml.override file. Why was this *not* done with PackageMaker, which can do this faster, and probably have a postflight script written to check for the presence of the application.xml.override file inside the .pkg, and if it existed to install the files. It also has support for multiple packages, so the main package could have called the default smaller .pkgs for each app (photoshop, illustrator, etc.) and installed as needed. The added benefit of the files being in a .pkg is that Apple Remote Desktop already supports the installation of .pkgs remotely, without the need to run a unix command on the remote machine. (Source)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    Looking for help! I have a volume license for Adobe CS3 {mac} with serial number but I cannot locate the install discs.
    If I remember correctly, when we purchased CS3 we could download a copy directly from Adobe's Licensing Website (in addition to receiving DVDs). I think our reseller gave us the details we needed to login.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12