+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Synchcronization Blues in Technical; The story so far... Initially, we had one server (currserv1) running AD and GP and storing files. Synchronization was turned ...
    Thank Post

Synchcronization Blues

The story so far...

Initially, we had one server (currserv1) running AD and GP and storing files. Synchronization was turned on in GP for staff. It worked fine.

Then we got a NAS server (currserv3) running Windows storage server 2003. I copied all of the files with permissions from the original server onto the NAS. Shared the folders and set up the necessary links.

Then I unshared the original folders on currserv1

Now when a teacher logs in, Synchronization tries to sync files from currserv1 and complains that the network folder is unnavailable. I have tried and tried to stop this from happening. Microsoft have recognized the problem on their support site but basically say it is by design and that a user must stop synchronization from working locally before they change their files to another server. That's too late for me now!

Anybody experienced the same problem and possibly come up with a solution? Is there a registry setting where you can stop it looking for currserv1 or equivalent name?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Synchcronization Blues

Delete everything from the Offline Files cache on the affected machine.

Thank Post

Disable synchronisation in GP - wait for a few days for all clients to pick that up (or force it) then re-enable it pointing at the new server?

Thank Post

You could use a GPO to say 'do not synchronise the particular share(s) on currserv1'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah, depends how many machines you have that are confused. I'd clear out the Offline Files anyway. It tends to get large.

Thank Post

I've found an entry in windows registry here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\NetCache\Shares

There was an entry here for currserv1 and 3. I have deleted currserv1 entry, but I had already turned off synchronization on my own PC. i will try this on another PC now.

Thank Post

Clearing out the offline files folder doesn't stop it from trying to sync. If it can't see the share, it complains and says you sre working offline.

Thank Post

Mark,

It just so happens that the same problem has happened to me last week. I fixed it by doing a couple of things...

Firstly, you must log onto the teachers laptop/pc as an admin, since they will see ALL files that are trying to sync from ALL users.
    Then, click the 'view files' button. Sort by server name and delete all the files you dont want to sync. Then in settings somewhere, there is i think an advanced button, which allows you to say which servers to sync to. untick the appropriate servers. Then perform a sync as admin.
    All the above is by memory so sorry if its slightly wrong words, but im sure you know where i mean to look.

This should sort it.

Jon

Thank Post

Thanks Jonny,

I have tried all of the above. There are no files remaining to be synched in the offline files folder at all. Whatever I try, the little offline files icon will not go, unless I completely disable offline files locally on the PC. I do this, restart the PC and then enable offline files again, and currserv1 is still there. I can untick it and click OK, but when I go back to the list, it re-appears. It's status is 'offline' and the information given is that it is 'unnavailable for reconnect'.

This is really bugging me now!

Thank Post

You could try re-initialising the folder cache. Log on as local admin and go to the offline folders tab in folder options. Hold down control and shift (i think!) and click the 'delete offline files' button. If i've got that key combination correct the machine will then ask for a reboot.

Thank Post

hmm, yes i had exactly this.. its strange that the above proc doesnt work. You must ensure that you login as admin to see all files that need syncing by all users, then delete the ones for that server.
    It is odd if that doesnt work. Pitty I cant come and have a look

If the server still exists, then you could try creating the root folder that they are trying to sync to, and give everyone full permission to it, then when it tries to sync they will be able to, then delete the files from the server.

We had a server go down, so I had the same unavailable error. I definately deleted the files, removed the server from the list of servers to sync to, and also added an exclusion to make sure.

Thank Post

Yeah, it sound like it should work! I have logged on as myself, and the default domain administrator. I presume you don't mean the local machine admin?

Thank Post

I take it you removed any cached (and roaming) profiles too?

Thank Post

I don't use romaing profiles.

Thank Post

a cached profile for each user that logs on is created from the Default User profile and stored on the local machine - run delprof to delete these and clear the offline files cache sot hat the machine forgets that anybody may want the offline files.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast