+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, USB memory sticks requiring admin password - Caused by Digidesign MBOX - Fix in Technical; We were having problems with Windows XP machines asking for an administrator password whenever a new memory stick was plugged ...

Thank Post

Post USB memory sticks requiring admin password - Caused by Digidesign MBOX - Fix

We were having problems with Windows XP machines asking for an administrator password whenever a new memory stick was plugged in. After a bit of digging, I worked out that it was being caused by the driver (v7.0) for the Digidesign 'MBOX 2 Mini' devices that are used to record MFL speaking exams- as described in this thread:
    Allowing USB memory sticks for non admins... Don't hit me!

Tried the newer driver versions, but they don't even seem to work. I have worked out a fix which allows memory sticks to be added normally without breaking the MBOX, which I'll share for the benfit of others with the same problem:

Run regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\CoDeviceInstallers
    and delete the value {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

That is all. I believe that the driver incorrectly adds this value which affects all USB devices, making Windows refer to the MBOX driver every time a new USB device is added.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    There is a GPO you can try instead of a regedit:

Computer Config > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options - Devices: Allowed to format and eject removable media - specify Administrators and Interactive Users

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread