+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, KPDL or KX Drivers? in Technical; Having issues with our Kyocera printer drivers on 2008 R2 server and seen that there are two types, the KX ...
    Thank Post

KPDL or KX Drivers?

Having issues with our Kyocera printer drivers on 2008 R2 server and seen that there are two types, the KX (which I installed) but also the KPDL drivers. Whats the difference and would I gain anything by changing to the KPDL i.e. likely solve any issues (which is mainly that it will not keep or recognise that I have told it to do user accounting i.e.user has to enter a code before print job is sent.
    Think Kyocera may be getting a visit at BETT

Thank Post
    KX drivers are the recommend ones from Kyocera. Never tried KPDL unless that's the offical title for the universal drivers which omit all the bells and whistles like double sided and watermarks etc>

Thank Post
    If all else fails fire up an old 2003 32 bit box, the drivers seem stable on that platform.

Thank Post
    Yes thats what I had to do but most of the laptops we get now are 64bit and that would mean having to reinstall them 32bit to enable them to print wouldnt it? Just talked to Kyocera and they confirm the KX ones are the only ones we can use as they include the accounting facility.
    Going to use their driver removal utility and try again with the latest just in case it was a left over from an older version driver causing the issue with the new driver I tried.
    Last edited by TechSupp; 25th January 2013 at 08:25 PM.

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Having issues with our Kyocera printer drivers on 2008 R2 server and seen that there are two types, the KX (which I installed) but also the KPDL drivers. Whats the difference and would I gain anything by changing to the KPDL i.e. likely solve any issues (which is mainly that it will not keep or recognise that I have told it to do user accounting i.e.user has to enter a code before print job is sent.
    Think Kyocera may be getting a visit at BETT
    The KX drivers are indeed the recommended drivers offering full functionality, The KPDL also gives the full features. The difference is that the KX driver uses PCL-XL (PCL with Kyocera extensions) by default but can be downgraded in the driver to standard PCL, which offers better compatibility with old applications. the KPDL driver is a Postscript emulation (rather than PCL) and doesn't really offer any benefits over the PCL, unless you're using professional level graphics eg trapping/colour transparency/ colour overlaying etc

So in short go for the latest v6 KX driver everytime.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread