+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Domain Controller W2K rebuild in Technical; Has any of you re-built a w2k domain controller? if so can you advise or point me to a resource ...

Thank Post

Domain Controller W2K rebuild

Has any of you re-built a w2k domain controller? if so can you advise or point me to a resource site which might make my life easier.

It's an existing w2k DC which I need to rebuild due to problems with ranger synch.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Domain Controller W2K rebuild

What else is on it apart from the DC role? When you say "rebuild" do you mean complete reinstall of w2k or just repromotion to DC?

If it's just a DC then it's pretty easy. Key thing to do is to make sure you have another DC (if you don't then install W2k server on any machine, promote it to be a DC). You then transfer the FSMO roles to it and make it a global catalog. Now you have all your active directory safely stored you run dcpromo on the first DC and demote it to a member server. You can then safely wipe and rebuild (or just dcpromo it back up if there was just a problem with the AD on that machine).

Having got your first machine rebuilt you transfer the FSMO roles back to it and, again, make it a global catalog.

The dcpromo down/up bit is very simple and quick (depending on number of users but it's only a few minutes even for 10,000 users); building the server from scratch takes longer but you should easily get the whole thing done in a morning.

If the DC has other software then it may be much more difficult - it depends on whether you can just reinstall the other software later (eg a SQL database can be backed up, SQL removed and then reinstalled to the new machine and the database restored. It's tedious but perfectly possible)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Might be more useful if you just post when you hit a problem.

Thank Post

Thanks for your help- the server is a DC and I have printing and Ranger running on it.

The reason I want to rebuild it is when I try to install anything such as re-applying SP4 it doesn't do it and it just hangs. I think by just re-promoting it into a DC it won't solve the problem and a complete re-install is needed.

I have 2 DCs and the first DC is OK and I have Active Directory, Sophos and Ranger running on it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread