+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Create MSI in Technical; Hi there I have no idea how to create an MSI and I have had a look on the internet ...

Thank Post

Create MSI

Hi there

I have no idea how to create an MSI and I have had a look on the internet and I found a few bits of software that helped me create them, but they were only evaluation versions so it was a crap MSI. I need to turn the EPSON projector software software into an MSI, to deploy via GP. Can anyone help me on how to create this, or if you know of any FREE software that will help me.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanks I shall give it a go

Thank Post
    Depending on how many machines you need to push the MSI out to, it might be easier to just install it manually onto each computer. I've never managed to get MSIs to install via GP sucessfully.

Thank Post
    Hi there Kirchie

Its not that many, only about 6 I think but I use GP to deploy all the software in the school, and it would be easier to have it as an MSI.

With your problem with getting MSIs to install, make sure that you are inserting the packages from a network share e.g. \\servername\MSI\example.msi

As it won't be able to install unless the client machines can access it (hence the server share) and also make sure that the right security settings are in there. Hope this helps.

6. Thanks to scotyboy56 from:

kirchie (7th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kirchie View Post
    Depending on how many machines you need to push the MSI out to, it might be easier to just install it manually onto each computer. I've never managed to get MSIs to install via GP sucessfully.
    This is usually down to a lack of post-conversion checking. WinInstall LE doesn't generate 'perfect' files, due to other things running on a machine. So, you need to check through the resulting project and remove any references to files which are nothing to do with the software you're installing (eg. windows update files, anti-virus files, odd entries in the registry etc...).

This takes time and effort. A tiny little program can take half an hour to make, but a larger package can take some significant time to capture, check and then test.

Creating such installers works nearly 100% of the time for me because of the checks and edits I make.

The best way to do this is with 2 virtual machines - one used for captures, with only Windows and WinInstall LE on, and another, with a standard image on, in its own OU for test deployment.

You can then revert snapshots on both of them when you need to.

8. Thanks to localzuk from:

kirchie (7th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scotyboy56 View Post
    Hi there Kirchie

Its not that many, only about 6 I think but I use GP to deploy all the software in the school, and it would be easier to have it as an MSI.

With your problem with getting MSIs to install, make sure that you are inserting the packages from a network share e.g. \\servername\MSI\example.msi

As it won't be able to install unless the client machines can access it (hence the server share) and also make sure that the right security settings are in there. Hope this helps.
    I think the problem lay (lied?) with the actual MSI itself. We've not had the need to use an MSI in a while though fortunatly!

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This is usually down to a lack of post-conversion checking. WinInstall LE doesn't generate 'perfect' files, due to other things running on a machine. So, you need to check through the resulting project and remove any references to files which are nothing to do with the software you're installing (eg. windows update files, anti-virus files, odd entries in the registry etc...).

This takes time and effort. A tiny little program can take half an hour to make, but a larger package can take some significant time to capture, check and then test.

Creating such installers works nearly 100% of the time for me because of the checks and edits I make.

The best way to do this is with 2 virtual machines - one used for captures, with only Windows and WinInstall LE on, and another, with a standard image on, in its own OU for test deployment.

You can then revert snapshots on both of them when you need to.
    Thanks for that localzuk, very informative

Thank Post
    Out of interest, did you try unpacking the .exe to see if the MSI is hidden inside it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread