+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Windows Thread, Create MSI in Technical; Hi there I have no idea how to create an MSI and I have had a look on the internet ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highley
    Posts
    103
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Create MSI

    Hi there

    I have no idea how to create an MSI and I have had a look on the internet and I found a few bits of software that helped me create them, but they were only evaluation versions so it was a crap MSI. I need to turn the EPSON projector software software into an MSI, to deploy via GP. Can anyone help me on how to create this, or if you know of any FREE software that will help me.


    Thanks

  2. #2

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,814
    Thank Post
    517
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    836

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highley
    Posts
    103
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Thanks I shall give it a go

  4. #4
    kirchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    83
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    Depending on how many machines you need to push the MSI out to, it might be easier to just install it manually onto each computer. I've never managed to get MSIs to install via GP sucessfully.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Highley
    Posts
    103
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Hi there Kirchie

    Its not that many, only about 6 I think but I use GP to deploy all the software in the school, and it would be easier to have it as an MSI.

    With your problem with getting MSIs to install, make sure that you are inserting the packages from a network share e.g. \\servername\MSI\example.msi

    As it won't be able to install unless the client machines can access it (hence the server share) and also make sure that the right security settings are in there. Hope this helps.

  6. Thanks to scotyboy56 from:

    kirchie (7th January 2013)

  7. #6

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,814
    Thank Post
    517
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by kirchie View Post
    Depending on how many machines you need to push the MSI out to, it might be easier to just install it manually onto each computer. I've never managed to get MSIs to install via GP sucessfully.
    This is usually down to a lack of post-conversion checking. WinInstall LE doesn't generate 'perfect' files, due to other things running on a machine. So, you need to check through the resulting project and remove any references to files which are nothing to do with the software you're installing (eg. windows update files, anti-virus files, odd entries in the registry etc...).

    This takes time and effort. A tiny little program can take half an hour to make, but a larger package can take some significant time to capture, check and then test.

    Creating such installers works nearly 100% of the time for me because of the checks and edits I make.

    The best way to do this is with 2 virtual machines - one used for captures, with only Windows and WinInstall LE on, and another, with a standard image on, in its own OU for test deployment.

    You can then revert snapshots on both of them when you need to.

  8. Thanks to localzuk from:

    kirchie (7th January 2013)

  9. #7
    kirchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    83
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by scotyboy56 View Post
    Hi there Kirchie

    Its not that many, only about 6 I think but I use GP to deploy all the software in the school, and it would be easier to have it as an MSI.

    With your problem with getting MSIs to install, make sure that you are inserting the packages from a network share e.g. \\servername\MSI\example.msi

    As it won't be able to install unless the client machines can access it (hence the server share) and also make sure that the right security settings are in there. Hope this helps.
    I think the problem lay (lied?) with the actual MSI itself. We've not had the need to use an MSI in a while though fortunatly!

    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This is usually down to a lack of post-conversion checking. WinInstall LE doesn't generate 'perfect' files, due to other things running on a machine. So, you need to check through the resulting project and remove any references to files which are nothing to do with the software you're installing (eg. windows update files, anti-virus files, odd entries in the registry etc...).

    This takes time and effort. A tiny little program can take half an hour to make, but a larger package can take some significant time to capture, check and then test.

    Creating such installers works nearly 100% of the time for me because of the checks and edits I make.

    The best way to do this is with 2 virtual machines - one used for captures, with only Windows and WinInstall LE on, and another, with a standard image on, in its own OU for test deployment.

    You can then revert snapshots on both of them when you need to.
    Thanks for that localzuk, very informative

  10. #8
    Tsonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    155
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    7
    Out of interest, did you try unpacking the .exe to see if the MSI is hidden inside it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Software for Creating MSI's
    By noser in forum Windows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10th February 2009, 03:31 PM
  2. Create MSI from difference
    By DanW in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2nd September 2008, 03:14 PM
  3. Create MSI from a system difference
    By rocknrollstar in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th July 2008, 09:44 PM
  4. creating .msi files...
    By gwendes in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st November 2007, 01:40 PM
  5. Creating MSI's
    By adamyoung in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29th November 2005, 12:59 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •