+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, HP 1515n Printing Issue in Technical; Right here we go: We have a number of these HP 1515n Colour Printers around the school. When our finance ...

Thank Post

Angry HP 1515n Printing Issue

Right here we go:

We have a number of these HP 1515n Colour Printers around the school. When our finance manager rang and reported that she was getting two "PCL XL error" print outs when printing in colour. I thought it would be an easy fix. I tried the usual fix which normally works with these, which was; popping onto the print server/manager and telling the printer to start printing immediately. This didn't work, the errors didn't go away.

You can go to any other colour printer around the school and it prints fine. Pop to ANY 1515n though and we get errors!? I can't work it out? Something to do with the RAM? Not enough? I don't want to buy RAM without being sure it will fix the problem.

Error 1:
    PCL XL error
    Subsystem: TEXT
    Error: InsufficientMemory
    Operator: TEXT
    Position: 2269

Error 2:
    PCL XL error
    Warning: IllegalMediaSize

Any ideas?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

Liam

Thank Post
    Are you using the PCL5 driver? If not, give that a go.

Thank Post
    Yes, we are on the PCL6 driver. Could be it be that the printer just doesn't have to might to handle it? Hence the insufficient memory error?

Thank Post
    I guess it depends what is being printed... if its something large like a .PSD file it might be able to spool due to a lack of memory. If it's just word documents etc. then its a bit of a mystery.

5. Thanks to bandgeekmafia78 from:

L3OUGH (18th December 2012)

Thank Post
    It's nothing more than a .PDF? One page, the only colour on it is the businesses header. If it can't spool that then it's going out the window.

Thank Post
    Can you convert the PDF to a Word document and see if it prints that way?

Thank Post
    Possibly, haven't tried that if I'm honest. Even if it does I can't really say that's a fix for her. I think it must be something to do with the printer, it's fine on other models. Just not idea what it could be.

Thank Post
    Our HP1010s do chug out on 'large' (>1mb) .pdfs. Take out all local/net printers and the spooler when they do too!

Not all that helpful, but in our great printing saga of Sept 2012 I found that the Universal PCL5 driver, the Universal PCL6 driver or the model-specific driver would be what any particular kind of HP printer wanted. Nothing much to go on, but at least something that worked for me.

10. Thanks to Miscbrah from:

L3OUGH (18th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the input, we were running all model specific drivers not to long ago and then switch to Universal PCL5/6 and switching between them doesn't help. I'm going to remove the printer and the driver package and re-install and see if that makes a difference. May be a corrupt file somewhere. Doubt it but hay.

M0MST
    Oh how I hate our 1515n's. They have had a battering and one has done nearly 200,000 copies.

Anyway, had similar issues where by anyone selecting more than one copy of a document would only get one copy, no matter which software or computer. Only saw a few of your memory issues, admittedly that was when printing via OSx to these devices. I also had a nightmare getting the driver to update for some reason, With the latest driver they have had a new lease of life, much more responsive and apart from consumables haven't been near them for nearly 6 weeks now. I have attached a screen shot of the latest driver I could find.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Thanks to M0MST from:

L3OUGH (20th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Eurgh, more drivers!? Only just finished sorting things out with what I thought were the latest ones! Appears I'm behind again, already! Thanks for the input MOMST. I don't think I'm going to mess much more, I've found a quick fix. If the member of staff prints the document as an "Image" it works fine, no errors. As the errors only appear when trying to print big documents. Print say a Word document with some colour on, the printer does it fine without issue.

So, I'll monitor the issue for a while, if the errors keep appearing I may have to try the newest driver like you say!

M0MST
    If you decide the try the latest driver let me know, I managed to extract the correct one for server 2008r2 and xp 32 bit. If you ever need any spares let me know ill have 2 of them going as I'm installing a managed print solution in Jan and they will need to go out of my way

Thank Post
    Ahhh, getting rid of all your printers? Your not having a central print area for all staff and students by any chance are you? Almost like a printing station?

+ Brilliant, thanks for the offer. If I'm honest I've never had any issue with them parts wise.

M0MST
    Yup, the lot are going. Replacing copiers and ending up with around 8 devices, new print solution with following me printing, swipe cards etc etc. Over 5 years my calculated saving is nearly 40% even with an increase in volume and price increases, due to the nature of our place there is alot of colour and photo printing, no more worrying about ordering supplies and fixing them all, I'm sure it wont be as good as it sounds, but I'm giving it a go anyway.

Thank Post
    Someone contacted us about a solution similar to the one you described. The other Techie here has advised us to stay clear, as his last place had one installed and it didn't go smoothly. Students activating what they were hoping to be work turned out to be highly confidential information. He said it was a shambles. So we are staying clear for a while yet. But I definitely think the concept is brilliant! I wish you the best of luck!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast