I have three models of computers on my network presently:
-Acer Power S280
-Acer Power S285
-Acer Power FH
I am able to fully deploy GPO changes and GPO software installs on both the S285 system and FH system. However, on the S280 system (all five units from this series), I get the following error whenever I gpupdate /force or restart the computer, attempting to start the software install. It is odd though, because most of the GP settings are still applied (like folder redirection, start menu customization, etc.). It is mainly just the software install that does not work.
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.). Group policy processing aborted.
This is a userenv error, code 1054.
I would very GREATLY appreciate any and all advice. I would like to fix this over remote desktop this weekend, but can run commands at the physical machine on Monday, if needed.
Do those 3 models use the same driver? Weird that everything else works. Will the settings apply from a fresh policy?
Try deleting the OU policy association and recreating it. Occasionally I get something that doesn't apply properly, and that's sorted it in the past. Admittedly that's when it's not applying to everything...
Sounds like the group policy is timing out before the network adaptor has finished initializing. Take a look in the Userenv.log logfile for any specific errors. You could try increasing the time windows will wait while trying to apply group policy by adding a DWORD registry entry GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue to the key
Unfortunately, I have no extra NIC cards. I may buy one myself later, if it turns out this is needed.
Each of the 3 models use different NIC drivers. After I reimage the machine, sysprep runs and does auto driver setup. I have tried reinstalling the driver on these, and it does not make a difference.
I increased the GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue and am now getting a different error. I'm guessing this might be good??
I attached a screenshot of the error. I also turned on debug mode for userenv and attached the log. All the restarts after GpNetwork... were around 10:10-10:17AM, so some of the other log entries may be from awhile back.
If anyone has thoughts, let me know, please. Thank you!
I had a problem with gp and made the following change in the registry
That did the trick
Can't remember where I found that though
I know this is a years old thread but just wanted to put my thanks on it. The GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue reg fix sorted this problem for me where plenty of googles and microsoft kb browsing didn't so thank you.
Here is the adm file I created to apply this reg change across my domain (first time of making an adm so excuse any mistakes, seems to work though):
CATEGORY "Windows Customizations"
KEYNAME "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
POLICY "Set GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue"
PART !!NetworkStartTimeout NUMERIC REQUIRED SPIN 1
PART !!Description TEXT END PART
NetworkStartTimeout="Network Start Timeout (seconds):"
Description="Use this to change the Timeout delay when computers start up."