Windows Thread, Fixing Windows XP after Sophos SSH /Updater issue in Technical; Hey Guys,
Trying to repair a Teachers Windows XP laptop after she had deleted all False Positive Quarentined items in ...
7th December 2012, 01:38 PM #1
- Rep Power
Fixing Windows XP after Sophos SSH /Updater issue
Trying to repair a Teachers Windows XP laptop after she had deleted all False Positive Quarentined items in Sophos, after there massive mess up!!!
Since those files have gone, I cannot update Windows, along with any other program that had their "update" files deleted. I also cant even get on the internet!!
I dont really want to start from scratch, but has anyone else been able to repair a machine where all the quaretened items had been deleted??
Thanks in advance
7th December 2012, 01:41 PM #2
Sorry to ask the obvious but have you tried a system restore? You'd think that'd restore the deleted files for you?
7th December 2012, 01:42 PM #3
What about using the repair option with an XP install disk?
If they're system files, it should detect they're gone and replace them.
7th December 2012, 03:22 PM #4
or repair install of xp over the top of the old one.
7th December 2012, 04:25 PM #5
+1 thats the only solution we could fine here to fix that problem. An XP repair on every affected laptop.
Originally Posted by X-13
7th December 2012, 04:55 PM #6
- Rep Power
well fixed it!!!!!!
First thing I did try was to repair XP with the disk. It went through ok, but at the end still the same issues... No Internet (coming up with limited connectivity etc - you know the score......) Could not get a DHCP IP. Tried it also using my iphone as a hotspot - same. Even Static IP's did not fix it. Definatley something been screwed up in the network department!!It was chucking up untold errors about netlogon etc.... googlling it for a couple of hours put me onto this page.....
I followed Ken Wickes' guide to reconfigering Winsock, which then gave me internet access...
But still had issues. Because I had repaired XP, it took me back to ie6. Everytime I tried to update , download etc, the following error came up "The request lookup key was not found in any activation context"
Luckly, Chrome was also installed, and I was able to download and install ie8. After that, I have been able to update XP, and now will start to fix any broken programs I come across.....
Thanks for all you advice guys....
By garethedmondson in forum Windows
Last Post: 14th September 2009, 05:37 PM
By rocknrollstar in forum Windows
Last Post: 23rd May 2009, 12:16 AM
Last Post: 27th March 2009, 01:35 PM
By craigg in forum Windows
Last Post: 21st September 2008, 12:11 PM
By L.E.K in forum Hardware
Last Post: 30th December 2007, 01:43 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)