+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year in Technical; In turn, Microsoft will drop the price of these releases — probably to around $25, just like OS X. I'd ...

Thank Post
    In turn, Microsoft will drop the price of these releases — probably to around $25, just like OS X.
    I'd be okay with this.. If they got rid of Metro.
    One can dream, right?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I'd be okay with this.. If they got rid of Metro.
    One can dream, right?
    I share you dream.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windows 7 was already enough of a dog to manage centrally (pinned Start menu items? Control over the login screen? Any of a dozen other reg hacks I've had to implement to perform basic tasks?) but now Windows RT/Win8 and this rumoured Windows Blue prove it: Microsoft have forgotten where they make all their money.

Apple abandoned enterprise to go after the consumer market; fine, they never had a big enterprise footprint anyway. But why are MS doing the same just to copy Apple? wtf? MS must make ten times as much money from enterprise as Apple do from consumer. It's like leaving a harem of twenty beautiful wives to try and win over the plain-looking barmaid in town. But you could just make her your 21st wife! You can have both if only you try.

No, I don't know where that analogy came from. I think I have problems.

4. 4 Thanks to sonofsanta:

Garacesh (29th November 2012), gmonks (29th November 2012), LosOjos (29th November 2012), zag (29th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 835 Posts
    It's decisions like this that are making the upcoming release of Linux Steam seem like a holy grail. Once that happens and it's proven to be a working model (i.e. all new releases are available through it at the same time as the Windows version), I'm ditching Windows completely for Linux - it's only the games that keep me hanging on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    It's decisions like this that are making the upcoming release of Linux Steam seem like a holy grail. Once that happens and it's proven to be a working model (i.e. all new releases are available through it at the same time as the Windows version), I'm ditching Windows completely for Linux - it's only the games that keep me hanging on.
    Pretty much this. I don't dislike Windows 7, and even after the Steam Linux release I may stick with it, but I don't like the direction MS are going, and once it becomes time to either reformat or upgrade, I'll probably switch to Linux, too. Unless MS sort out all this Metro lark. Which probably isn't going to happen. But that would be the only saving grace.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Windows 7 was already enough of a dog to manage centrally (pinned Start menu items? Control over the login screen? Any of a dozen other reg hacks I've had to implement to perform basic tasks?) but now Windows RT/Win8 and this rumoured Windows Blue prove it: Microsoft have forgotten where they make all their money.

Apple abandoned enterprise to go after the consumer market; fine, they never had a big enterprise footprint anyway. But why are MS doing the same just to copy Apple? wtf? MS must make ten times as much money from enterprise as Apple do from consumer. It's like leaving a harem of twenty beautiful wives to try and win over the plain-looking barmaid in town. But you could just make her your 21st wife! You can have both if only you try.

No, I don't know where that analogy came from. I think I have problems.
    M$ are not that stupid , they are going where the money is and i guess the enterprise and office apps are not big winners for them now.

I can see a AD in the cloud service for enterprise being launched by M$ to compete with Google Apps etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,557 Times in 1,985 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjamez View Post
    M$ are not that stupid , they are going where the money is and i guess the enterprise and office apps are not big winners for them now.

I can see a AD in the cloud service for enterprise being launched by M$ to compete with Google Apps etc.
    That's the thing - Microsoft made $22bn from their business division in 2010-2011. That's the division that makes Office, Exchange etc... They made $19bn from their Windows division and a megre $9bn from their entertainment division. The most money comes from their business stuff!

They made a loss in their online services division!

Interesting article showing this sort of breakdown - Why Microsoft doesn't need your money: Business brings home the bacon | Digital Trends

9. 3 Thanks to localzuk:

jumpinjamez (29th November 2012), sonofsanta (29th November 2012), zag (29th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    It's an interesting development this, but I see one potential problem. Microsoft are supporting Windows 7 up to the year 2020. From late 2013 as Windows 8's now here, does this mean we'll have 8 new operating systems before Windows 7 becomes unsupported? Most unlikely. I think every year is far too frequent.

Can you imagine creating hotfixes for 8 different operating systems? It would be a logistical nightmare and support costs would rise for sure. Running XP and 7 can be problematic enough in a domain environment, but adding more variations will just complicate matters.

Thank Post
    Doesn't seem to be very much to this article as far as facts go - looks more like scaremongering to pack in the punters to look at the big PC world ads on their site....

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Maybe they just realized how bad Windows 8 really is and need to fix it FAST!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Maybe they just realized how bad Windows 8 really is and need to fix it FAST!
    Probably and Steve Ballmer will all tell us it's the fastest selling version of Windows to date, which is no real surprise considering more PCs, notebooks and tablets are sold today than 10 years ago.

Just how many people are actually using Windows 8 and have used downgrade rights is a much more interesting number!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Probably and Steve Ballmer will all tell us it's the fastest selling version of Windows to date, which is no real surprise considering more PCs, notebooks and tablets are sold today than 10 years ago.
    Those figures he quoted also included OEM machines that haven't been sold yet! Probably the vast majority infact.

Thank Post
    I went to windows 8 and then straight back to 7

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Just how many people are actually using Windows 8 and have used downgrade rights is a much more interesting number!
    I visited Currys two weeks ago and they told me they had seen a rise of Windows 7 upgrades from XP since Windows 8 has been released.

They also told me that they found some tasks such as burning recovery media twice as long and complicated to do than in Windows 7.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 835 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmonks View Post
    They also told me that they found some tasks such as burning recovery media twice as long and complicated to do than in Windows 7.
    I'm finding everything long winded and cumbersome in Win8 - everything is hidden in menus, administrative tasks are especially awkward now! The whole Metro GUI is based around touch screen devices, it does not work well with a mouse.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast