+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Removing domain from a primary school enviroment. in Technical; Hi, I need a little advise on if this will work or not. I am thinking of removing the domain ...

Thank Post

Removing domain from a primary school enviroment.

Hi, I need a little advise on if this will work or not. I am thinking of removing the domain aspects of our system for curriculum and using alternative software. This would allow us to use cheaper versions of windows and also remove a aspect that does not really work 100% for children in a Primary School. This is an initial idea at the moement but I have been considering making all laptops encrypted with an entry level password to start the machine up. I was then thinking of making the laptops auto-login so that nobody needs another password. (this could still be done with a laptop connected to the domain to allow me to set permissions etc) I was then thinking of making windows backup run automatically for each laptop during a time of day when the laptops will not be in use and then backing up to one masive NAS or using Sync back to the server. I could use WPKG to manage software.

What does everyone think about this scenario ? Is it more trouble than its worth ?

This idea has come about because teachers would like to take laptops offsite and I am worried about data security. Any thoughts are welcomed

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This idea has come about because teachers would like to take laptops offsite and I am worried about data security. Any thoughts are welcomed
    You can take laptops offline when on a domain. Used Chached credentials.

Thank Post
    Well im also trying to avoid users having to enter too many passwords to startup a pc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeky View Post
    Well im also trying to avoid users having to enter too many passwords to startup a pc
    again having them not on a domain will not make them have to enter less passwords. If anything it will make things worse. They will have different passwords for different computers they use.

Im a little confused by the logic of this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    remove a aspect that does not really work 100% for children in a Primary School.
    What about a domain doesn't work 100% in a primary?

I don't really understand what you are trying to do. Surely using a domain makes things easier all round and going away from this is a backward step?

Thank Post
    If you're encrypting the laptops then the data should be pretty secure. Of course, it doesn't stop the teacher letting their offspring/partner/anyone who happens to be in the house having access to the laptop and therefore the data but surely no member of staff would do something that stupid ?

I think you're creating more work for yourself by moving away from a domain structure.

Thank Post
    just use cashed logins and a username for the class that the teacher has??

Thank Post
    ok thats exactly what i thought but someone asked me the question. What about network drives how you you guys do that ? just enable offline mode on them ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Without the enforced security settings that you get with a domain, it's actually going to be harder to meet your obligations regarding data security. It's not just about encryption.

What encryption package are you looking at? If it's TrueCrypt, I seem to recall that doesn't ask for a password when you resume from sleep (only from shutdown or hibernate), so you could be making the computers significantly less secure unless you completely disable sleep mode.

Thank Post
    All of the above confirms exactly what i thought so thats brilliant. I just had to ask the question. Yes I was thinking of trucrypt and then disabling sleep mode. I am however going to have to allow people to access the internet options in IE because people want to use internet at home. Either that or I just install another browser for home use.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    If it's proxy issues you're having, I recommend getting WPAD auto-configuration working on your school network, then you can just set proxy settings to automatic and it will work at home and at school.

Thank Post
    if its just passwords i have various password free users say r for reception so turn off control alt del and its 1 letter and enter to log on i have even on occasion set a pc to log into a domain account automatically. If its pupil use laptops i personally woldnt bo too woried about encryption esp if their user area(s) are on the server what going to be in them at primary level? There shouldnt be anything there that needs encryption you might have the odd name but thats about it.

if they are all standalone (and if you do go to win7 home you can use folder sync) they will always have to use the same laptop to get their stuff it will be harder to deploy software and rebuilding pcs may be an issue (its allright having a full system backup from the day before but if a pc stops booting theres a fair chance the issue will be on the image you restore)

Thank Post
    Well all staff will be assigned an individial laptop to use at school or at home. I would have a few spare for subs etc and their is a planning drive where teachers store planning work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread