Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Roaming profile advice in Technical; Having just moved 34 staffs roaming profiles to a new server location and this having caused a ton of work ...

Thank Post

Roaming profile advice

Having just moved 34 staffs roaming profiles to a new server location and this having caused a ton of work and inconvenience to the end user, i have started to wonder if there is a better way to sort this out so movements like this are much smoother so want your advice.

I think i will start by talking you though what i did and what problems i came across and hopefully you might be able to enlighten me with some better ways of doing things.

To move the profiles i first started by renaming the local pc copy, i then changed the path location to the new server share, had the user logon so that the new profile area was created then moved over the contents of the old server copy to the new location, the first problem i hit was to do with users who were using Office Outlook, no Outlook file (PST) are stored in the server copy of the profile this file is stored under local settings on the old local profile location, if i try to point this pst file outlook does not like it ending in a total mess.

I then end up having to go control panel/email and remove the email profile, then create a new one and point Outlook to the IMAP server but the user loses address books/auto fill addresses. As i understand Outlook can not store some parts of its data in an IMAP server so it stores it under a local data file.
    Last edited by rob101; 7th November 2012 at 10:49 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread