+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, All files on a share become hidden - anyone seen this? in Technical; Last week, at 2 seperate times on the same day, 2 shares had all the folders set to hidden, and ...

Thank Post

All files on a share become hidden - anyone seen this?

Last week, at 2 seperate times on the same day, 2 shares had all the folders set to hidden, and a shortcut to every single folder/file created. Had to restore from backup in the end.
    At first I thought it was something a staff member had done, as one of the shares was a public area which teachers can write to, but then it happened to another share that only I have access to.

In the end no big deal as all the data was still there, but slightly worried that if it happens to say, a user share, no-one will be able to see their files until I fix it. Just seems really weird. No viruses detected. All the other shares on the affected server were/are fine

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Hello SideWinder,

This might well be a virus we have had the same thing to find out that symantec has found a trojan called the trojan.zbot. This done the same thing for us, it hides all folders on mapped drives and then creates shortcuts with a command to launch the shortcut.

I had a look on the symantec website and got the following information? This was a big deal for us and I suggest you scan all server immediately, we have documented and screenshoted the problems that we have had and reported it to RM.

Also look out for shortcuts to .exe and ive seen shortcuts for .doc and ppt!

This happend the same week! I seriousily reccommend you to run a virus scan on all servers and we have been hit by this and it spread pretty quick.

JHLEHS
    Last edited by JHLEHS; 16th November 2012 at 04:21 PM.

3. Thanks to JHLEHS from:

sidewinder (30th November 2012)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Update on this, as nothing else went wrong, I forgot to check this thread, until it happened again this week.

And upon checking the shortcuts, they were launching a command of some sort - so I knew then it was a virus.

I've scanned the share with several tools and sure enough there were a few trojans there, but all cleaned up now. Just to be safe I've moved the share to a brand new VM

Thank Post
    Yes, what I think happens is that the command launches the same shortcuts put puts it in a command box and then runs a command. The above symantec document explains that when this is clicked the trojon trys to report information back to there servers. This grew to affect all our servers, which AV do you use symantec endpoint?

I would make sure all servers have the latest virus defintions installed and it might be worth sending an email to staff to not launch these shortcuts as that is how the problem for us replicated.

Thank Post
    We use Sophos, will be setting a full scan over the weekend on all the other servers. Not had anything reported from clients yet. Then again I dont fully trust Sophos..

Shortcuts are all gone now, and luckily it was on a hidden apps share so no-one could click the things (I may have once, probably on the server, which has now been cleaned)
    Dread to think what would have happened if it had affected the shared area...
    Last edited by sidewinder; 30th November 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Thank Post
    We've had the same thing. If you look at the security settings on the shortcut it tells you which user created them. Usually the user who downloaded / opened the virus.

Thank Post
    Yes indeed, report it to RM as they need to be made aware of it. It was nasty at our place. We had to reboot all our servers and scan them etc, it was a lovely weekend job... Not! When did you get it colacao82?

Thank Post
    Well I think we had it in November originally. But have had a couple of cases since!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Only thing that found this for me was kaspersky tds killer.

12. Thanks to glennda from:

colacao82 (14th February 2013)

Thank Post
    We've got McAfee but it didn't seem to detect it! What's everyone else using?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colacao82 View Post
    We've got McAfee but it didn't seem to detect it! What's everyone else using?
    Yup my client had this, i tried - Sophos command line scanner amongst other things along with a couple of others. All of which didn't detect until Kaspersky did.

Thank Post
    My sister's USB Pen had this and the Symantec install didnt pick it up, plugged it into my win 7 virtual machine with MSE installed and it picked up the virus in seconds, sorted it out and all i had to do was run the attrib -h command on the drive to get the folder structure unhidden.

annoyingly, she put her pen back into her laptop and the infection returned :/

Thank Post
    Seems like it is a newish virus. We have symantec endpoint RM's adaption. McAfee always causes problems in my experience with end users. I really do not like McAfee as it really slows down computers. Symantec was able to detect it, the reason why we picked it up in the first place was because are definitions were not updated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection picks this up as Backdoor:Win32/Caphaw.D!lnk and successfully removes it of its own accord. We're seeing it on pensticks here, though the virus gets neutered as soon as it's plugged in to a machine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast