+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Anybody else wish Home/Business were seperated again? in Technical; I think i prefered it when Microsoft had consumer OS and a business OS ie NT 4 / 98. I ...
    Thank Post

Anybody else wish Home/Business were seperated again?

I think i prefered it when Microsoft had consumer OS and a business OS ie NT 4 / 98. I am glad MS moved the consumer over to NT kernel, but i wish MS would do a seperate Windows line with a longer support cycle that is refreshed with Service Packs instead of a new version of Windows completely. So for example the business product would have at least a 10 year mainstream life, and if new technology such as USB 3 comes along its supported in a Service Pack.

Consumers like all new bells and whistles and shiney things, but in the non consumer world the computer is there to do a job and that job only, and you rarely gain anything in comparasion to the costs of deploying a whole new OS. When i was in Barclays yesterday the tills were still running XP, but it works and does the job, if they upgraded to Windows 7 or 8 it would still be doing the same job just with the expensive of new licences, hardware and no gain.

Am i the only one who would like a more long term version of Windows for places where its there to do a job and not just look nice?

Thank Post
    Hasn't XP been out for 11 years now? 7 is 3 years old. I sort of see your point, but it was getting quite hard to find drivers for some of the newer hardware. Microsoft do support business longer than home users. 10 years is a very long time in the software world. There are also some nice additions to windows 7 and 8 from an admin point of view.

Thank Post
    I too get annoyed by this.!

All this change is consumer driven and is the sign of the times. Ie: nothing seems to be around for more than 5 minutes before a new version of whatever it is is released!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Am i the only one who would like a more long term version of Windows for places where its there to do a job and not just look nice?
    Isn't that kind of how it is now though? As mentioned above XP has been out for 8 years before the "need" to upgrade to Windows 7 (or 11 years in total), and some businesses/schools still don't.

Windows 7 has been out 3 years, and I don't really call Windows 8 a replacement for businesses (Not yet anyway). Nothing in Windows 8 is really "needed" for businesses, it's only nice options (same as vista/7). It's only when it gets to the stage nothing is supported for older systems that it's kind of forced upgrade.

Windows 7 is still being supported, and patched till 2015 (mainstream) and 2020 (extended) by Microsoft. Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Microsoft Windows So can always stay on it if people want

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,002 Posts
    with a longer support cycle that is refreshed with Service Packs instead of a new version of Windows completely.
    New versions of Windows will effectively become service packs if Microsoft copies Apple and does yearly OSs releases. The situation with Windows 7 SP2 clearly shows MS wanting to go in that direction. Windows 8 is unlikely to get any service packs.

you rarely gain anything in comparison to the costs of deploying a whole new OS.
    I agree with Chris_Cook. With each successive version of Windows, deployment and other admin-type tasks has become easier and easier, thus saving costs in the long term. The installation of AHCI drivers during the setup process in Windows XP is a good example of something which has been made much easier in newer editions of Windows. If you consider how long it takes to deploy a SysPrep'd version of Windows versus the installation of a service pack, you can see that it is more cost effective to do the former.

Big businesses should also learn how to write software that doesn't break when new versions of Windows are released.

When I was in Barclays yesterday the tills were still running XP, but it works and does the job, if they upgraded to Windows 7 or 8 it would still be doing the same job just with the expensive of new licences, hardware and no gain.
    I think banks and supermarkets are using the wrong tool for the job. For single purpose devices (checkouts, ATMs), Linux would be a far better choice since it is infinitely customizable and everything that isn't required can be stripped out. Alternatively, if they have to stick with Windows, they should be using Windows Embedded or Windows Server since both are more modular than consumer versions of Windows and both can have their GUIs removed enabling them to run headless or with custom UIs that replace Explorer.
    Last edited by Arthur; 4th November 2012 at 01:03 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread