+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, Do you use Google Chrome on your curriculum computers? in Technical; Originally Posted by Geoff NTFS on XP machines can't hardlink across network volumes. Unofficially you can. Symbolic links for Windows ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,903 Times in 2,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    NTFS on XP machines can't hardlink across network volumes.
    Unofficially you can.

Symbolic links for Windows XP
    Technically it seems that NTFS5 even shipped with Windows XP has always supported symbolic links, but the functionality was not available for user mode applications, and even not for the upper layers of ntfs.sys

BUT: There are filter drivers available from Masatoshi Kimura for even WindowsXP, which enable symbolic links under XP. These drivers can be downloaded from his home page for 64 bit and for 32 bit. The sources are also available.

Installation of these drivers is also quite simple.

• Unpack the archive for your platform,
    • Start the driver via executing 'senable.exe install' from the command prompt.

If you want to stop the driver, execute from a command prompt 'senable.exe delete'.

After an reboot make sure that at system startup senable is started once, so that the driver is loaded. (Source)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,903 Times in 2,136 Posts
    As opposed to no flash at all?
    For a lot of schools, Flash is a necessary evil unfortunately.

I suppose it depends on which websites you visit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Do you use Google Chrome on your curriculum computers?
    Yes - our 32 original-model Eee PCs all boot Debian and load up Chrome in kiosk mode, we use them in the year 1 classrooms.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Just testing it at the moment to push it out, but I won't set it as default, because I can't get bl%%dy favourites to follow people around, it insists on storing them locally. The only way around it, as far as I can see, is to let people use Google Sync, but I'm not going down the path of explaining how to do that.
    I just started testing today, and if I understand you correctly, I have history/favourites/settings following users around via the GPO setting: Set User Data Directory. I have found that it doesn't like multiple logons from the same user, though - if someone's got chrome open on one computer, leaves it, and logs in on another then tries to open Chrome, it won't open. If you close Chrome on one, the other will open etc. It makes sense, though, and I'm not sure how much of a problem this will be.

If anyone has a solution I'm all ears.
    Last edited by Driftingashore; 22nd October 2012 at 02:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftingashore View Post
    I just started testing today, and if I understand you correctly, I have history/favourites/settings following users around via the GPO setting: Set User Data Directory. I have found that it doesn't like multiple logons from the same user, though - if someone's got chrome open on one computer, leaves it, and logs in on another then tries to open Chrome, it won't open. If you close Chrome on one, the other will open etc. It makes sense, though, and I'm not sure how much of a problem this will be.

If anyone has a solution I'm all ears.
    As soon as I set that GPO I got errors on opening Chrome so I quickly abandoned it. Can't recall what they were but it wasn't pretty.

Thank Post
    Did you set them to google's own environment vars? It uses nonstandard ones, for some odd reason:

%APPDATA% = ${roaming_app_data}
    %LOCALAPPDATA% = ${local_app_data}
    %USERNAME% = ${user_name}
    %COMPUTERNAME% = ${machine_name}
    %USERPROFILE% = ${profile}
    %PROGRAMFILES% = ${program_files}
    %WINDIR% = ${windows}
    ${documents} = The “Documents” folder for the current user. (“C:\Users\Administrator\Documents”)
    ${global_app_data} = The system AppData folder. (“C:\ProgramData”)

(from Deploy Google Chrome)

If you did, I have no answers, though.

7. Thanks to Driftingashore from:

sonofsanta (25th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    For a lot of schools, Flash is a necessary evil unfortunately.

I suppose it depends on which websites you visit.
    I've also banned Java on my clients while I was at it.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I think Vista and 7 can using reparse points.
    You can only use reparse points for directories.
    Last edited by Geoff; 22nd October 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Off topic, but:

I've also banned Java on my clients while I was at it.
    Last week I totally removed Java from our network. The only complaint so far: "Why isn't Minecraft working anymore?"

Can't say I'm too bothered about that..
    Last edited by Driftingashore; 22nd October 2012 at 03:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Did you set them to google's own environment vars? It uses nonstandard ones, for some odd reason:

%APPDATA% = ${roaming_app_data}
    %LOCALAPPDATA% = ${local_app_data}
    %USERNAME% = ${user_name}
    %COMPUTERNAME% = ${machine_name}
    %USERPROFILE% = ${profile}
    %PROGRAMFILES% = ${program_files}
    %WINDIR% = ${windows}
    ${documents} = The “Documents” folder for the current user. (“C:\Users\Administrator\Documents”)
    ${global_app_data} = The system AppData folder. (“C:\ProgramData”)

(from Deploy Google Chrome)

If you did, I have no answers, though.
    I'd been trying to use the user's mapped home drive, which it obviously didn't like... using ${documents}\Favourites\Chrome didn't get very far either, but ${roaming_app_data} seems to work - even if it puts Favourites back into the roaming profile, where I'd just got them out of with IE. Better than nothing, still. Cheers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I'd been trying to use the user's mapped home drive, which it obviously didn't like... using ${documents}\Favourites\Chrome didn't get very far either, but ${roaming_app_data} seems to work - even if it puts Favourites back into the roaming profile, where I'd just got them out of with IE. Better than nothing, still. Cheers!
    Out of curiosity, are you (or is anyone) getting any errors on Win 7 installs? My sole problem with Chrome is now an error message on startup - "A breakpoint has been reached 0x80000003" -on Win 7 machines, but the browser continues to function regardless of the error. It's just very annoying. Vista and XP work fine, though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Out of curiosity, are you (or is anyone) getting any errors on Win 7 installs? My sole problem with Chrome is now an error message on startup - "A breakpoint has been reached 0x80000003" -on Win 7 machines, but the browser continues to function regardless of the error. It's just very annoying. Vista and XP work fine, though.
    That was the error I had when trying to use ${documents} - not sure if the code was the same, but the breakpoint waffle and the behaviour were identical. Changing to ${roaming...} made it go away.

Thank Post
    Curious, as I'm using ${roaming_app_data}. I have to admit to being quite disappointed that it's not working for me on Win 7, but is on XP, considering I was planning to finally remove XP from the network this weekend and roll out Chrome. Bloody typical.

I suppose I'll try to find a location that doesn't complain tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Driftingashore; 25th October 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Okay, for anyone that has this issue: after a bit of research, I found this: Issue 84045 - chromium - Investigate profile/cache on a network hosted location - An open-source browser project to help move the web forward. - Google Project Hosting

The interesting bits are near the bottom (search for --disable-gpu)

Long story short, this is a bug to do with the GPU sandboxing, and they're working on/investigating a fix. The current workaround involves launching Chrome with the --disable-gpu flag, which disables GPU acceleration. Far from ideal, but it seems to work. I suppose I'll have to wait for a Chrome update for a "real" fix.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I used to support Firefox as part of our base image a while back, but eventually removed it due to it being a PITA as to manage. With every update it was getting harder and harder to turn off nag messages and the import utility. Students don't have persistent profiles so this stuff would pop up every time they logged in. I gave Chrome a try last year and got disgusted with the tweaks I had to make just trying to get the MSI to deploy through AD. It was a while ago, but I do remember that the installer was trying to call home back to Google, but couldn't get out since all traffic needs to go through authenticating proxy filters before being let out. As a result, the machines were stuck on the deploying managed software message. It wouldn't even time out and eventually continue, they were just stuck. I found a tweak on some webpage I had to make to the package to get it to work and eventually it did push out alright. It's just crap like this that turns me off from supporting alternative web browsers. We're a Windows 7 Enterprise district now and IE9 is all that we support. Teachers have local admin on their machines and can install whatever they like, but the base image and student computers only get IE9. It works, I rarely see websites break on it, and GPO just works.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    I used to support Firefox as part of our base image a while back, but eventually removed it due to it being a PITA as to manage.
    Don't say that...

I'm about to sort out firefox for our network.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123