+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Backing up staff laptop data in Technical; Originally Posted by seanmh Teachers want to count themselves lucky NO - NO - NO The IT equipment in schools ...

Thank Post

Re: Backing up staff laptop data

Quote Originally Posted by seanmh
    Teachers want to count themselves lucky
    NO - NO - NO

The IT equipment in schools exists to serve the education of children - whether by assisting teachers to do their job or to help with directly educating children in the classroom or as a means to provide students with core ICT skills.......

For far too long, staff and students have been the slave of the IT setup - it must be the other way round because the minute that IT makes life more difficult rather than easier, is the minute we need to order a skip to dump all those computers into so we can use the space and resources they take up for better purposes.

As IT professionals it is our responsibility to make technology as accessible as possible and to ensure that the teachers in the front line of delivering education have the confidence and skills to use IT in appropiate means - that also means that we need to ensure that what we are delivering meets the actual need and not some hyperthetical need that we percieve........

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by omeydog
    NO - NO - NO

The IT equipment in schools exists to serve the education of children - whether by assisting teachers to do their job or to help with directly educating children in the classroom or as a means to provide students with core ICT skills.......

For far too long, staff and students have been the slave of the IT setup - it must be the other way round because the minute that IT makes life more difficult rather than easier, is the minute we need to order a skip to dump all those computers into so we can use the space and resources they take up for better purposes.

As IT professionals it is our responsibility to make technology as accessible as possible and to ensure that the teachers in the front line of delivering education have the confidence and skills to use IT in appropiate means - that also means that we need to ensure that what we are delivering meets the actual need and not some hyperthetical need that we percieve........
    Hello .... What planet are you living on ???? La la land ?

Listen mate.. how long have you been in ICT is schools for ? beacuse we try to give the best but then we hit a big snag... It's called Teachers who find it difficult to log on let alone using up to date technology....

So please don't preach to me.. untill you've been on the front line

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by omeydog
    I'd say in places where this happens in schools, it is not due to the technician or technical team, but more likely due to a lack of budget.

Thank Post

I'm all for making life easier for the staff (to an extent), but the students should have to muddle through things, as otherwise they'll never learn (in My opinion, our management have different ideas, and I do as I'm asked/told).

IT is difficult, sometimes, if they get a job they might need to work out how the corporate IT systems work, and they'll only be able to do this well, if they have been able to figure out how the educational IT systems work.

BUt, this is off topic, and I'm sure we could discuss this elsewhere, as I'm sure it has been already...

We're supposed to be telling me the best way I can backup the staff laptop data..... hey....

I have downloaded the trial for smsync, as someone (whos' name is on the previous page, and so I can't see at the moment), suggested. It looks quite good, I have set it to sync up my laptop docs to the student file server (the one with several 100 gigs of space free). I like the way it keeps advising me that it is synchronising automatically, but I suspect other people get annoyed with this sort of pop-ups.

I think if I can work out some sort of remote access system (webdav or FTP) for the staff accounts, then I can get it to sync up across the 'net too.

-yay one more thing I need to sort out.... preferably before September.

Thank Post

I don't do offline files in case we end up with hol snaps, videos,mp3s etc on the server. I have set up a folder called backup in the laptop user's 'my docs' with a batch file that they click on to copy everything from this folder to a similarly named folder in their drive on the server. Some teacher's save all their work in this folder, some just put work in they don't want to loose.
    I also have made it clear that having set up, provided them with instructions and a demo that the responsibility for backing up is theirs. most ot them just click on the batch file icon before they log off.

Thank Post
    I am looking at automating the backup of certain file types (mainly MS Office data) on staff laptops to a server. I don't want to use syncronise files/offline files.

In the past staff have been asked (even told) to take more care/responsibility for backing up their data but it clearly doesn't always happen & from time to time we lose data. (Right now I don't want to engage in fruitless debates about responsibility etc etc )

I have seen earlier references to SmartSync, we use Secondcopy for a small number of systems already, has anyone come across anything else that will do the job?

I want staff to have little involvement in the process (preferably none). My goal is to automatically scan their machines for new/changed files either in real time or on a scheduled basis & copy them to a server, maintaining multiple copies of the files would be a bonus.

I realise that this will not be a 100% catch all solution, ideally I could do with something robust enough to cope with staff slamming the laptop lid shut, yanking out the network cable and walking off with the system in mid-backup!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,821 Posts
    The staff here can work on the network (in which case their stuff is saved on the server) or off it in which case they can either save to their C drive or drop stuff into a folder called 'laptop' which is a shared drive on the server.
    It is entirely their responsibility and I don't want to copy their C drive as I know they are filled with all sorts of tosh!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12