+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, I remember why I hate XP... in Technical; Originally Posted by witch Still got it in little pockets of resistance. Thing is, some programs and printers work better ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Still got it in little pockets of resistance.
    Thing is, some programs and printers work better with it.

Case in point - Testbase - worked fine on XP with HP2600 printer
    Have you tried using a basic HP LaserJet driver (the one built in to Windows). The HP printers can be quite good at just taking the generic command codes from earlier units and spitting out usable documents. Even if it is just for the blacksmith era apps.

2. Thanks to SYNACK from:

witch (2nd October 2012)

Thank Post
    When I changed jobs I moved to Windows 7 from XP and with some fiddling (classic menu, etc), I got W7 usable. There are three things that I can't fix however, and given the choice I would move back to XP.

Firstly, the boot from cold speed - I think it takes twice as long, and if it goes off and does one of it's mysterious checks, it can take 20 minutes to before you can even login.

Secondly, some services that I disable keep coming back. Google updater and Superfinder XT. OK I wouldn't need Superfinder XT if the string within file search in W7 actually worked. I've managed to get around that by using Cygwin and grep, but I can't stop Google updater re-activating itself, a problem I never had under XP; here you switch the service off and it stays switched off.

Thirdly, The Gimp is unusable under W7. The run under compatibility mode is a joke - selecting XP does nothing. W7 handles interrupts differently to XP, so The Gimp has trouble knowing when the mouse has been clicked. I guess eventually the authors will crack it and get it working correctly. In the meantime I'll have to pray that my old XP laptop (BYOD) does not give up the ghost.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post

Secondly, some services that I disable keep coming back. Google updater and Superfinder XT. OK I wouldn't need Superfinder XT if the string within file search in W7 actually worked. I've managed to get around that by using Cygwin and grep, but I can't stop Google updater re-activating itself, a problem I never had under XP; here you switch the service off and it stays switched off.
    Can't help with the other 2 (GIMP works fine on Windows 7 here), but for this you might want to check the Scheduled tasks as Google Update tends to create itself in there. Get rid of that and disable the service and that might work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonj View Post
    Can't help with the other 2 (GIMP works fine on Windows 7 here), but for this you might want to check the Scheduled tasks as Google Update tends to create itself in there. Get rid of that and disable the service and that might work.
    Yea, I'd be looking at google too, I was sure that everyone was aware that google products were basically spyware/malware now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts
    I don't hate XP. It's starting to show it's age, but a bit like my old mini it just keeps soldiering on without complaining much and doing what it should do... just a bit more slowly.

It has had its day and its retirement next year by Microsoft is timely.

Thank Post
    The only thing I do not like about Win7 are the slow log in speeds. XP logs in well under 20seconds often under 10seconds if it’s the 2nd time logging in. Win7 takes minuets even on better hardware.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    We can't afford to buy new software
    The versions of both IEP and Testbase are very old now. I know the problem is definitely to do with the printers but why it happens now I dont know. We do have a new server but both programs run off the old server so no change there - the only change is Win 7
    I liked XP - logon times are great

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Case in point - Testbase - worked fine on XP with HP2600 printer
    Teacher now has Win 7 - gets a "floating point overflow" error and can't print
    Oh wait... I dimly remember having this issue.
    I seem to remember something about changing the default printer to something else then resetting it to the printer you want.
    Sorry to be so vague it was a while ago.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    XP's login speeds may have seemed quicker but oftentimes being able to see the desktop did not mean you could actually do anything yet; Windows 7 is a lot more responsive as soon as the desktop is up, which I prefer as there's less frustration of the "you should be working!" variety.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I don't hate XP. It's starting to show it's age, but a bit like my old mini it just keeps soldiering on without complaining much and doing what it should do... just a bit more slowly.

It has had its day and its retirement next year by Microsoft is timely.
    Apart from the lots of complaining, and not doing what it should? Seems we had very different XP experiences

Steve

Thank Post
    XP has its annoyances. Windows 7 is definitely better for home users, I have serious reservations for what Microsoft are doing now with regard to enterprise though. Non managed libraries?!?! Totally ridiculous to assume that public folders be accessible by default on machines and with little we can do to lock down the ability to recreate the link to them.

Also the link between profiles and user libraries!! Its so annoying that a user is able to browse their profile folder and see two Documents folders, one on the C Drive and one on the network?! Its totally bonkers! I have even used the registry key to hide the user profile location from desktop and explorer, but some programs (Cubase 5) seem insistent that you need to see the profile

The logon speeds are pretty rubbish with Windows 7, you can reduce them by ensuring you are mapping to fewer shares and disabling some active setup keys but its still not quite XP speeds just yet.

Windows 8 seems to have sorted log on speeds, but has obviously assumed that all workers want to do all day is share their progress on Facebook.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    XP has its annoyances. Windows 7 is definitely better for home users, I have serious reservations for what Microsoft are doing now with regard to enterprise though. Non managed libraries?!?! Totally ridiculous to assume that public folders be accessible by default on machines and with little we can do to lock down the ability to recreate the link to them.

Also the link between profiles and user libraries!! Its so annoying that a user is able to browse their profile folder and see two Documents folders, one on the C Drive and one on the network?! Its totally bonkers! I have even used the registry key to hide the user profile location from desktop and explorer, but some programs (Cubase 5) seem insistent that you need to see the profile

The logon speeds are pretty rubbish with Windows 7, you can reduce them by ensuring you are mapping to fewer shares and disabling some active setup keys but its still not quite XP speeds just yet.

Windows 8 seems to have sorted log on speeds, but has obviously assumed that all workers want to do all day is share their progress on Facebook.
    The dual docs thing is down to not setting 'move contents too' on the folder redirection at which point it leaves the defaults there too. Libraries have not really caused issues here but that may be down to our usage patterns. Mandatory profiles can speed up logons massively.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The dual docs thing is down to not setting 'move contents too' on the folder redirection at which point it leaves the defaults there too. Libraries have not really caused issues here but that may be down to our usage patterns. Mandatory profiles can speed up logons massively.
    Libraries haven't caused issues here, its just the whole idea behind a redirected documents system which still allows users to save to C: just doesn't seem sensible to me!

I know what you mean about the move contents to, but it doesn't explain why it would leave the redundant folders there, when they were never asked for?! Why create them when you know its going to be redirected?

Mandatory profiles is the next step I think in logon time reduction, esp over the wireless connections.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Libraries haven't caused issues here, its just the whole idea behind a redirected documents system which still allows users to save to C: just doesn't seem sensible to me!
    You can also use GPP to hide those folders e.g. Update, %userprofile%\Documents, Hidden. But agreed, in terms of the enterprise and management, Win7 is a PITA. Nicer to actually use, but a right faff to control. I shouldn't need to be updating reg keys in this day and age for basic things like stopping Outlook saving attachments to a daft location. I seem to be doing more scripting now than I ever had to do with XP as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I know what you mean about the move contents to, but it doesn't explain why it would leave the redundant folders there, when they were never asked for?! Why create them when you know its going to be redirected?

Mandatory profiles is the next step I think in logon time reduction, esp over the wireless connections.
    The folders get created initially with the profile despite any policies to the contrary. If the redirect rule is set it will pull all the files/desktop.ini so that it can then remove the folders from the lib.
    Duplicate folders may appear after enabling Folder Redirection

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast