+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, RIS image Riprep in Technical; I searched and did not see anything about this, so sorry if I missed something. Once I complete a RIS ...

Thank Post

RIS image Riprep

I searched and did not see anything about this, so sorry if I missed something.

Once I complete a RIS image (after using the RIS installed base image), I am guessing I will need to run Riprep, but then I am lost at that point. Is sysprep necessary? How does the image get to the server?

I'd appreciate any advice. I'm so close
    Thanks so much!

Thank Post

Re: RIS image Riprep

Install any applications you want including. Browse to the ris_server\reminst\Admin\i386 folder and run riprep.exe. Follow the wizard. The files will get copied to the RIS server and then the workstation will shutdown. Part of the process includes Sysprep so you don't need to worry about that.

If you turn on the workstation after the process is complete it will go through a mini setup (this is because Sysprep was run on the workstation). You can enter the relevant details and continue to use the workstation.

Give it a go, you can't break anything. Try imaging back onto a different machine so you still have your original workstation to tweak if things aren't quite right.

One other thing - make sure that your workstation hard drive is the same size, or smaller, than the hard drives of the machines that you are going to put the image onto. It won't work otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post

That is very helpful, thanks.

Another question though, what is the best way to add VGA, Audio, and LAN drivers to the image and make setup rescan devices?

Thank Post

Probably the easiest method is to deploy your riprep image to new hardware (assuming the HAL is the same), add the drivers for your devices and then re-image the workstation. The new image should then work fine for both sets of hardware.

Also, have a look at the riprep section of this MS Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314479

To force your setup to do a full plug and play scan during setup you use the /pnp switch with riprep.exe. You can do this from the run command; \\RISServerName\Reminst\Admin\i386\Riprep.exe /pnp. With this switch a full plug and play enumeration will be carried out on each hardware that the image is deployed to.

Good luck.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread