+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Pros and cons of teacher PCs in Technical; I am just in the process of putting desktops in all classrooms. It becomes a problem when cover teachers do ...
    Thank Post
    I am just in the process of putting desktops in all classrooms. It becomes a problem when cover teachers do not have access to a laptop to do SIMS ect. At the moment we are not taking the laptops away from staff but it will make it easier when new staff come in, as they shouldnt have any reason to automatically ask for a laptop.

It's also better for the IWB, i find the cables get damaged when putting in and out of laptops several times a day.

Fixed workstations are just better all round in my opinion.

Thank Post
    We took out laptops from classrooms some time ago and installed a staff pc in every class. The plugging in and out of vga cables for the projectors and network cables resulted in several laptops being broken due to the ports being damaged through rough handling and motherboards having to be replaced. Desktops now have vga cables screwed tight to prevent their removal and this works very well for staff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrian49 View Post
    We took out laptops from classrooms some time ago and installed a staff pc in every class. The plugging in and out of vga cables for the projectors and network cables resulted in several laptops being broken due to the ports being damaged through rough handling and motherboards having to be replaced. Desktops now have vga cables screwed tight to prevent their removal and this works very well for staff.
    Which model of laptops? Never had that issue with laptops, have had it with cheap Ergo desktops, foxconn motherboards

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    Which model of laptops? Never had that issue with laptops, have had it with cheap Ergo desktops, foxconn motherboards
    Laptops were Acers, I don't think it was a problem with the laptops themselves, just that users were a bit heavy handed trying to push connectors in. They also used to break the usb ports by snapping off the plastic plate inside and bend the pins causing a short.

Thank Post
    We have fixed pc's and data projectors in all rooms, this enables any user to go to any room and teach!

Laptops are issued by the school to 'key' users only.
    All other teachers have two choices, buy their own or buy one 50/50 with the school and have us set it up with schoo, software inc office etc. If they leave within a year they hand it back and have their money returned, otherwise they can keep it when they go.....

Thank Post
    Which takes longer, logging into a desktop pc and loading all your programs and files, or setting all that up beforehand on your laptop and plugging in 2 cables?

I'd expect if I had a desktop to be using roaming profiles so all my settings were everywhere. Of course most of the time our pupils use laptops too, so if there's a supply teacher they can just use a pupil laptop.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12