+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Using WDS to create and deploy XP images. in Technical; I am totally lost on how to do this. I can install windows via WDS but I have no idea ...

Thank Post

Using WDS to create and deploy XP images.

I am totally lost on how to do this. I can install windows via WDS but I have no idea how to set this up (server side or client side) to create an XP image to be deployed.

I understand that you must sysprep the machine of course like with any imaging software and then boot to network and create the image however when I boot a client machine on the network I get two options.

1. To install Longhorn x64
    2. RIS

I was expecting an extra option here, is this correct? If this is not correct can someone please explain to me what images to use for boot to get this option to create an image. Well I select the longhorn one it wants to install longhorn, when I select the RIS one it wants to install XP but all I want to do is create an image not install either of them.

My guess is that I have the wrong boot images, I did have to playa round with them before I got any clients to boot via the network, I just set the WIM files on the Vista x64 DVD as the boot images as the ones listed initially didnt correspond to anything.

Please can someone explain what i am doing wrong and how to fix it. I really want to use WDS but I feel myself going back to Acronis

Cheers in advance guys!

John

Thank Post

Re: Using WDS to create and deploy XP images.

You are correct that you need the WIM files from a Vista Install DVD - not sure if they contain both x64 and x86 though

I have been able to create/deploy images that i have created on a PC that has been sysprep'd, but I cannot find out how to use WDS to deploy a Vanilla Install of WinXP - at present i need to resort to RIS for that.

I've also tried to use BDD to deploy an automated install of XP with various apps but this has also fallen flat on its face.

Not tried for a while but plan to over the summer if i can suss it out as i aim to retire RIS (but not delete it as its still useful)

IN WDS console expand down to Boot Images and add your Vista WIM file (right click - add boot image) then when it appears on the riight pane, you can right click it again and u get various options - including options to create Capture and Discover images..

Thank Post

Wow, I will try that, didn't realise there was a context menu there, I thought I had right clicked everything!

I will try that but it says x64 architecture all the time, I think our machines are x64 but the Windows XP I am using is 32bit, hope that still works! I'll try it and report back!

Thank Post

Ok... I have created a Capture Boot Image using the right click and named it XP Pro but when I boot a client from the network is does not have the option to capture an image?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread