+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, WDS irritating problem. in Technical; I know there's a sticky thread for WDS already, but this is a specific problem that so far I've been ...

Thank Post

WDS irritating problem.

I know there's a sticky thread for WDS already, but this is a specific problem that so far I've been unsucessful in solving, and it's starting to annoy me.

I have some IBM machines I'm trying to image at the moment, but I'm having problems with windows PE reading the hard drive. I've managed to get it talking to the network by adding in the network drivers, but it just will not find the hard drive. I've tried adding in the chipset drivers for the intel 845chipset the machine has, still no luck. I can't understand why it should be such a problem, I mean everything else accesses the c:\ with no problems, so why does windows PE have a problem?

The machines in question are IBM 8198-72G and have the intel 845G chipset and IDE hard drives. I could understand this problem if the drives were SATA, but IDE drives are normaly supported as standard aren't they??

Has anyone got any idea how I may be able to get these to work with WDS, as at the moment I've run out of ideas, and I really don't want to use RIS for my images if I can help it.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank Post

Re: WDS irritating problem.

Solved this myself, and it was my own stupuid fault! WDS is a little bit more intelligent than I gave it credit for, and it knows if a volume is suitable to be captured or not.

In this case I was experimenting with WDS to see if it was going to work on this particular type of workstation, so I hadn't syspreped the drive thinking I'd find out first if it was actually going to work. When there was no drives listed for capturing I assumed there was something stopping it from seeing the hard drive, but actually WDS knew it couldn't be captured so didn't give me the option.

I only realised this after getting command prompt up, and realiseing that C:\ was indeed available, so I knew from that moment it was something else stopping WDS from listing it in the dropdown box.

So note to anyone else using WDS, it only gives you the option to capture the drive if it's been syspreped. Silly problem and really obvious now I realise the problem was indeed me!

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread