+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, GPO Not Being Applied in Technical; Hi. We have got a new server, and am installing Windows Server 2003 onto the server. I have never actually ...

Thank Post

GPO Not Being Applied

Hi.

We have got a new server, and am installing Windows Server 2003 onto the server. I have never actually installed a server before, so this is a bit new to me. I have read a few books on it, and have played about doing a few test installs...

Anyway, I have the new server all installed and set up. Have installed DNS, DHCP and Active Directory. All appears to be working fine from the Logs and stuff.

I have created a test user, logged in with the user, and all seems fine. So I decided to create a GPO for this OU to test it out. I just did a few simple things like remove the notification area, disable a few desktop icons, remove windows update from start menu etc. Now, I log in as this user, and it doesn't appear to do any of these things...

I looked on the event log of the test machine, and it comes up with the following message:

Event ID: 1053
    Description:
    Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

I have had a quick look around on the net, but cannot understand what it causing it to have this error.

Anyone any ideas?

Thank Post

Re: GPO Not Being Applied

Doh, OK. Me being a bit thick. When I set up dhcp, I put in the wrong IP address for DNS (wondered why it took so long to apply the settings etc ). I put in the IP Address I was going to use when the machine is up and running, not the current IP Address... Right, now I can carry on looking in to sorting out (hopefully). Any probs, and I'll be back ...

(Well, probably not until week after next now, as am away after today )

Sorry, just rambling on again. Cheers guys

One thing though, if anyone can help me here, is there a way of getting a pre-defined GPO, and applying it to your system? Sort of like a GPO you can download, and then add it in? I looked on the net, but couldn't find anything...

Many thanks again

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread