+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, DNS problem?? in Technical; Ive just spent ages chasing out an entry for our new file server, of the ip address before it became ...
    Thank Post

DNS problem??

Ive just spent ages chasing out an entry for our new file server, of the ip address before it became static, i.e. the on DHCP gave it for all of 1 min.

Now Ive erased it from DNS, and its resolving okay now...

before it was resolving on round robin. e.g. 50 % of the time the clients would recieve the correct, static ip, of which the server was listening to, 50% of the time they recieved the incorrect DHCP ip, which the server wasnt listening too.

Ive removed the entry in DHCP also and thats worked...

NOW i thought id better check on the other servers now ive got it...
    and when i ask to resolve our main server i recieve this:

Addresses: 192.168.33.1, 192.168.91.1, 10.0.5.66, 10.0.0.63

now the problem we have here is 2 network cards are VMwear ones... the 192*'s

one is WAN (PPP/SLIP) interface (10.0.5.66) ((DHCP))

and the two static, 10.0.0.63 (the correct one) and 10.0.0.4 (used for pinhole forward of PPTP, but will allow the clients to talk to it on this port)

My question is, does this mean that 3/5 times, the client will recieve the wrong ip address and not work? or do the clients ignore the 192 ... ip addresses because they arnt on the correct subnet, or should i disable round robin, and tell it to always resolve as 10.0.0.63?? and if i do will that disable roundrobin for all A records, or just this server?

Whats your views?? thanks

Thank Post

Re: DNS problem??

Generally it should pick up the same IP address in the range as which it was queried. This isnt always so though. You can however disable a connection from registering in DNS and maybe add a static entry for that network if needed. I dont normally give advice to CS players but on this occasion I shall make an exception

Thank Post

Re: DNS problem??

essh, meanie!

I thought about that, i was going to remove the connection for the two virtual connections, but what about the WAN/PPP one?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information