+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, RIS Problem - XP on 2000 server in Technical; Using a windows 2000 server I finally configured a RIS server yesterday to update all the old 2000 machines to ...

Thank Post

RIS Problem - XP on 2000 server

Using a windows 2000 server I finally configured a RIS server yesterday to update all the old 2000 machines to XP so then I didn't need to bother doing alternate scripts for things like defrag and different profiles for xp/2000.

However I came across a slight problem when trying to use my Windows XP academic edition disc (it doesn't say its an upgrade CD but requires a win98 disk be entered at some point).

Using RISETUP I get to the point where it asks for my disc so I browse to it but get this error message "The data area passed to a system call is too small". The title="E:\i386\txtsetup.sif" so obviously its something to do with that file.

Although when I try to use another Windows XP which isn't licenced to the school it does work, but I need to use the school reg key which doesn't work with this disk probably because its not academic version. I tried to slipstream my academic disk but it just gives the same message.

Should I just copy the txtsetup.sif off the working disk to my slipstreamed one or is it an important file that needs to be exact ?

Thank Post

Re: RIS Problem - XP on 2000 server

You need to use the 'volume license' media kit with RIS and, consequently, require a volume license key. If you are bothered about using a key licensed to your school, simply buy a Win XP upgrade and media kit from Westfield.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

To save you the effort, simply create a full XP desktop machine with drivers etc using your exisitng disks then run RIPPREP from the REMINST\ADMIN\i386 folder. This will copy the entire image to the disk. You can then use this for RIS. You may want to source yourself a volume licenced XP disk from your supplier. Who gave you your current 'upgrade' disk?

Thank Post

I have no idea where the disks came from, the last guy didn't leave me with the most fantastic software record lets say. I am just assuming what is licenced to be used an where. There are 42 of the 2000 machines and around the same number of xp upgrade disks so it makes sense to me considering all the other xp computers have the official windows key stickers.

I tried the RIPPREP, clicked next, then it asked for a server so i typed the current one I am using. But it came up with this error message "The RIS server you are attempting to post this installation does not match the correct CD-based image. The version of the CD-based image on the server must match the version of the system you are attempting to image [v5.0 2195] Please either select a different RIS server to post this installation to or add the corresponding CD-based image to the current RIS server."

Thank Post

Found http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=835264

It says a fix would be to use the files from 2003 server disk but I don't have that unfortunately.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The RIS setup should not ask for a server, it should give you one if it has been setup correctly. When you create your managed computers you should specify which server you want to be used as the RIS server. It saves you time later on. Unless that is you have more than one :/

Thank Post

Win2K was always a bit funny with RIS - if you have a 2003 server, I would recommend using that.

If you have all the paper/sticker licenses for XP, use the disc that works (keys aren't important )

Thank Post

I shall try reinstalling the RIS over lunch, hopefully nobody will mind a reboot

One thing that bothers me about the keys is the windows update functionality. If I have a machine with a sticker key on the side, I can just use that one key for all computers without any problems like microsoft being picky ? (I know theres ways around the systems I just don't want any trouble for the school if say OFSTED come)
    I once tried to use an install CD which required activation but after 3 installs it wasn't much use anymore.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you get a volume licence disk your licence covers all PC's in your school and does not require licencing. My How to section on RIS has the scripts you need. Simply modify as required.

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...c&t=54&start=0

Thank Post

Things haven't gone too well. I reinstalled RIS and managed to get an XP disk image onto the server. But from that point I've hit a brick wall. I followed the instructions on
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../remoteos.mspx I tried that and it didn't work, I followed the steps on http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;246184 to fix the problem but still getting the same message and I have tried everything mentioned twice.

I still have the problem with riprep asking for my server and when I type it the same error message as above.

Thank Post

Sorry, forgot to include the error message I was getting when I put in the floppy disk. When I booted from the disk it was saying network drivers could not be found. If I do all the steps correctly should my adapter appear in the adapters list in rbfg.exe ?

Thank Post

@Pear: Have you copied the network drivers into your RIS image? Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B246184

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Can you tell us what the NIC is please? Intel ones are often awkward as manufacturers 'tinker' with them. Dell is notorious for this.

Thank Post

Its a SIS 900 PCI FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER. I went to the sis downloads site and got myself the driver. I then put the win 2000 driver (.inf and .sys files) in all the folders that I am supposed to. Then I restarted the binlsvc service.

Ric - I did try everything in http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B246184 at least twice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SIS 900 Should work just out of the box with PXE (it does for me here!). Did you say it was PXE compatable or did you use the boot disc to get to the RIS screen?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast