+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Well isn't this pretty... in Technical; Hehehe thats true, as long as my office, sims and games run I dont really notice the OS....
    Thank Post

Re: Well isn't this pretty...

Hehehe thats true, as long as my office, sims and games run I dont really notice the OS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Hehehe thats true, as long as my office, sims and games run I dont really notice the OS.
    Would you consider running MS-DOS 6.22 then?

Thank Post

Nah, it wouldnt be capable of running my ms office, sims and most definately wouldnt come close to running my games

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    Anybody who tells you that they are not having problems with Vista, isn't really "using" vista!
    Tsk tsk... I have been running Vista at work, desktop & laptop & at home since BETA, its awesome... I have not yet found one single application that I couldn't get to work on Vista. Some of the software I use for support is also quite old. When you get used to its differences, realise that UAC should be off, its brilliant...

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Vista made my laptop respond twice as slowly as XP, as much as I am a version junkie, I prefer a responsive operating system.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ittech
    Vista made my laptop respond twice as slowly as XP, as much as I am a version junkie, I prefer a responsive operating system.
    Thats amazing!! mine got twice as fast
    One thing to bear in mind though is that the Ultimate version of Vista is big and clunky because it does everything, I started with Business edition (which flies) and then moved to Enterprise (which also flies).

Thank Post

Ultimate seems to run ok on my new gaming rig

spec:
    Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4Ghz)
    2Gb DDR2 Corsair Twinx PC6400 Ram
    Geforce 8500 GFX Card (am going to get another to sli it, not a hugely powerful card, and only £60 for DX10!!)
    160Gb Sata2 System Drive
    320Gb Sata2 Storage Drive

But yea, security software seems to be a bit clunky on it, given the companies didn't get much time to develop due to microsofts initial adimance that the kernel should be kept secure.... Zonealarm Beta seems to make the machine boot up pretty slowly, admitely zonealarm pro seems to drag my xp machine down on boot aswell....

Chris

Thank Post

In vistas defence, it has the rollerdex desktop, which isn't at all reminiscent of fedora's spinny desktop, not....not at all.....

Or the widg.....gadgets.....

Or the nice transparency effe......

I'll give up now

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Jake: SIMS is still half-DOS even today!

Thank Post

Vista is excellent it’s more then twice as fast as Xp 64bit and very responsive. Boot time is super fast at 5 seconds.

Thank Post

5 seconds.....

What spec machine, and what version of vista?

have to say, mine takes probably around 10-15+ish....

Chris

Thank Post

I should have given a few more details it was my home PC although its 5sec for some unknown reason every so often it takes at least double that roughly 10 seconds. Never understood why the boot time change’s like that. My first guess would be something to do with the software running in the background when its turned off/sleeps. But the software is always the same. Last weekend I booted back to Win 64bit to get some files and it was painfully unresponsive compared to Vista getting to the desktop felt like it was taking for ever.

That’s timed in my head didn’t use a watch/stop clock. It’s my home PC as well not a school one so pretty fast hardware. Vista Ultimate 64-bit, cannot give the full PC specs without going home and checking.

I could be imagining things but I am sure Vista has got more responsive since it was first installed. Some people are put off as the first few days are slow as Vista is indexing and learning what programs you use. Readyboost makes a difference as well as long as you dont use a cheap £10 USB stick.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey
    Vista is excellent it’s more then twice as fast as Xp 64bit and very responsive. Boot time is super fast at 5 seconds.
    Daft question but what utilities (anti-malware, etc) do you have set to start with each version of Windows?

I ask because if there's a significant difference between them both then that obviously affects start times.

Thank Post

“Daft question but what utilities (anti-malware, etc) do you have set to start with each version of Windows?”
    Pretty much the same I try and keep as little as possible running in the background. Avast is the only program of note, which is on both, XP has quicktime and some colour gamma correction program along with the Creative sound package but most of the Creative package was disabled. The XP 64 bit build is over a year old, which accounts for some of the slow down. Different hard disks as well, both the rated as the same speed but never tested to check they are.

But still due to the new sleep mode Vista gets to the desktop long before XP gets to the login screen.

Thank Post

I was wondering if perhaps I was being too harsh on vista and when I opted for a new laptop (old one going to other half) I figured it couldn't be all bad.

Or so I thought..

I'm sorry this OS is an unholy piece of cr*p... it's got more resources than my original laptop which had 1gb and XP and it takes forever to do anything. "Not Responding" is a message I get on windows and programs on a regular basis and its whole explorer system seems to have been thought up by someone who decided that cacheing was a waste of time as it refreshes for the 15th sodding time.

Having wasted 6 hours transferring all my stuff across to this thing and learned its delights along the way I'm seriously considering wasting another 4 hours doing the necessary work to locate the XP drivers for this model (Sony decided not to make this easy - vista only!) and put XP on instead and make the most of the actual hardware..

Bottom line... all that discussion on whether or not to put vista on any machines at school.. HA! forget it... Over my dead body at this rate..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast