Poll: Which version of Vista does your school use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Who is using Vista at school? in Technical; Hi all, I work for a test house who deal with lots of educational software developers. People are asking us ...

Thank Post

Who is using Vista at school?

Hi all,

I work for a test house who deal with lots of educational software developers.
    People are asking us more and more what versions of Vista schools are using.
    From research, our gut feel is that probably almost no schools are using it (yet), and probably Business or Enterprise versions if anything.

Are any / many schools actually using Vista (apart from that machine in your office with Ultimate and if so which ones?

Thanks all,

JoeM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Who is using Vista at school?

Here are the results of a recent poll of 287 members - 'Vista. A priority for schools or not?', over 88% said no.

Personally I believe educational software developers should be concentrating on platform-independent web-based solutions.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Personally I believe educational software developers should be concentrating on platform-independent web-based solutions.
    Erm.. that's probably a different topic so I'll nix my opinion on that

Thank Post

Cheers for the link Webman,

We were really wondering if anybody at all was actually using Vista in earnest yet.

As for the developers issue - That's outside my sphere of influence!
    However we also test lots of web and browser-based applications, and the range of browsers, platforms and plug-ins multiplied by the ever-increasing security options means that even the web-based solution present a complex set of cross-compatibility options, and making something work on everything is a hefty challenge.

Products that launch office applications, for example, behave quite differently with Vista and Office2007 - a fair few things just don't work at all.

Still, at least it's never dull!

JoeM

Thank Post

I -think- I can speak for 95% of primary schools when I say we will not be getting vista for quite a time yet. I work for two primary schools. One of my schools has only just (in the last few weeks) upgraded from windows 2000 to XP, so an upgrade to vista in the forseeable future is extremely unlikely. My other school has only within the last year and a half upgraded to XP so again, with a primary schools budget, it will be very unlikely we'll be migrating to vista any time soon. From how I understand it, a lot of other primary schools are in a similar situation.

Plus vista is too dodgy even for home use at the moment, let alone on a network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

@joem
    Becta are recommending schools stay clear of all versions of Vista and Office 2007 versions until their final report:
    http://publications.becta.org.uk/dow...fm?resID=28199

web-based solution present a complex set of cross-compatibility options, and making something work on everything is a hefty challenge.
    Not if the right design decisions are made in the first place.

Thank Post

No intention of installing Vista here yet, I have a copy for testing but I simply won't roll it out until I have reasons to do so. At the moment XP works brilliantly in the schools and I just don't see why I should lump on top a bloated OS which offered next to nothing that's worthwhile presently.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I agree with CyberNerd. The educational software market seems to be dominated by applications written by ex-teachers with a 7-year-old copy of Visual Basic for Dummies. Well, going by some of the stuff we've had to have put on the network before.

There are some real gems though - such as Careerscape, JED, Create! technology range, Make Your Mark etc. which are all HTML/flash and work perfectly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We're not using it at the moment. In the future, possibly. When we do, it will be Business. As much as I'd prefer to use Enterprise, we don't have SA so we can't.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    I -think- I can speak for 95% of primary schools when I say we will not be getting vista for quite a time yet. I work for two primary schools. One of my schools has only just (in the last few weeks) upgraded from windows 2000 to XP, so an upgrade to vista in the forseeable future is extremely unlikely. My other school has only within the last year and a half upgraded to XP so again, with a primary schools budget, it will be very unlikely we'll be migrating to vista any time soon. From how I understand it, a lot of other primary schools are in a similar situation.
    Certainly the case for my three schools...

One only just got updated to Win98 but that's down to very poor, rip off consultancy support from a previous company.

I suspect we may be looking to upgrade in about 2 to 3 years time but only once the actual hardware and network infrastructure is in place and then only if the key software used has been updated accordingly.

Thank Post

Wow! Someone is actually using Vista Business in their school (according to the poll)

If that person who voted "Business" was you - What was the motivation to switch to Vista? Have you had many problems? (a bit Off topic, I guess...)

Meanwhile - thanks all for your responses so far,

JoeM

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts

Working on the two theories:
    1. If it ain't broke don't fix it
    2. Never trust version 1 of anything

and combining with "we've not got enough money in the piggy bank to upgrade our hardware"

We'll be with Windows XP Pro for some time yet.

Thank Post

^ About sums it up

we have 1 laptop running vista at the moment ( not including IT's pcs ) and since we are buying 100+ pcs this year and they only come with vista business, we may have a big trial run :twisted:
    mind you i have read you can downgrade new vista pcs to xp, just needs a phonecall to microsoft,
    still not sure what we will do yet

Thank Post

I've had a play on a test PC with Vista and Office 2007.

I cried....

How long have I spent teaching children and staff how to use XP and Office 2003...

The children will switch easily, but the staff!!

I think if and when we convert any machines to Vista I will seriously think about changing the whole school to Office 2007 as soon as possible. The staff will find it hard to use 2 different Offices.

J

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast