+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Downgrade Vista Business To XP Pro in Technical; Been looking online but thought I would see if anyone here has done it. If I purchase a laptop with ...

Downgrade Vista Business To XP Pro

Been looking online but thought I would see if anyone here has done it.

If I purchase a laptop with Vista Business and want to downgrade to XP Pro according to MS I can but via oem / Volume licence.

The question is can I install using for example DELL OEM CD then activate the install and when prompted contact MS via phone who will validate the copy of vista and give a validation code for XP.

Cheers

Thank Post

Re: Downgrade Vista Business To XP Pro

Edit mk2!

You need to check you volume license to see which products you can downgrade from one to another. oem on its own has no downgrade rights (except server iirc)

Thank Post

Rights to OEM versions of systems software are granted in the OEM License Terms. The OEM License Terms for most OEM versions of systems software do not grant downgrade rights. The exception is the OEM License Terms for the Windows® XP Professional operating system and the Windows Vista™ Business and Windows Vista Ultimate operating systems, which grant downgrade rights. See the full text of the OEM License Terms for the specific downgrade rights.
    Don't have an OEM copy handy to check for you though... Sorry!

From a MS document:

Can I downgrade my OEM version of Windows Vista Business to Windows XP Professional?

Yes. OEM downgrade rights for desktop PC operating systems apply to Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate as stated in the License Terms. Please note, OEM downgrade versions of Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate are limited to Windows XP Professional (including Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows XP x64 Edition).

End users can use the following media for their downgrade: Volume Licensing media (provided the end user has a Volume Licensing agreement), retail (FPP), or system builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License).

Use of the downgraded operating system is governed by the Windows Vista Business License Terms, and the end user cannot use both the downgrade operating system and Windows Vista Business.

There are no downgrade rights granted for Windows Vista Home Basic or Windows Vista Home Premium.
    So as I see it I eaither need a VLA / a retail version of XP or be an OEM to downgrade. Is this right?

Thank Post

Thank Post

so how does this work with OEM? has anyone done it, ive just tried installing xp pro with a vista business key and it said license key invalid, so does that mean you have to buy a special downgrade license?

Thank Post

@sysman

you wouldnt be downgrading.... you wuld be upgrading

Exactly

Thank Post

Microsoft makes it hard to downgrade Vista to XP Pro

You need to use an XP pro oem product key (if you are installing from oem installation media) and MS activation line as supposed to provide this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Here's the fresh new advice from our LA:

Desktop:
    If you have purchased an OEM license with a PC or Laptop ( and I point out that this is the only legal way of purchasing OEM licenses)

you are allowed to re-install, re-image from a volume license version such as Select. The End User license Agreement (EULA) is not explicit in explaining this but I have been advised that this is allowed.

Other rules surrounding OEM: and these are explained in the EULA
    * Must be purchased pre-installed
    * Lives and Dies with the PC
    * Limited Downgrade Rights
    (Vista and XP only have downgrade rights using a volume license version such as Select)
    * No Cross language
    (Buy it in English can only use in English, except for the MS free language interface packs that are allowed as it only convert about 80% of product interface with user)

* Backup copy can be created
    (used for re-installation, archive only)

Whilst Windows XP is only available to purchase as an upgrade on select, the media kit does provide the full XP version, which can be used for imaging etc and replacing the OEM license etc.

Stating the obvious..
    Remember though if you do have windows media kits make sure you have a legal OEM license for the hardware you are re-imaging or re-installing, which must be the same version. Unless you are using the downgrade rights as I have described.
    The person issuing this statement had just returned from a Microsoft session on licensing.

I take that to mean: as our select agreement covers downgrade rights that we can downgrade OEM Vista without buying another license.

Thank Post

* Limited Downgrade Rights
    (Vista and XP only have downgrade rights using a volume license version such as Select)
    This is incorrect, here is an answer from an MS system builder Q&A

Q. Where do customers get the CD/media to install the Downgrade Software?
    A. End users must use a legally licensed version of the specified previous version of the Windows desktop or server operating system to install the Downgrade Software. The Downgrade Software may be from the retail, OEM/System Builder, or volume licensing channels.
    Downgrade rights are not restricted to volume licence users for XP Pro Vista Ultimate/Business.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread