+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, Free Vista Upgrade Offer in Technical; Has anybody managed to actually get their free copies yet? We purchased 32 new computers in October 2006, each PC ...

Thank Post

Free Vista Upgrade Offer

Has anybody managed to actually get their free copies yet?

We purchased 32 new computers in October 2006, each PC came with a copy of Windows XP and was entitled to the free Windows Vista upgrade offer.

As we were entitled to 32 copys there was a note on the vouchers that said if ordering more than 5 units, to e-mail them. Which I did and eventually got an e-mail back saying that at the time the system could not put on bulk orders. (this was in October)

I then tried again in Novemeber, and they said to put all the infomation on an Excel spreadsheet and e-mail it back... this I did, left it a few weeks and heard nothing. So I e-mailed them to find out what was going on. They told me the e-mail had not been recieved. So I faxed it to them, I later recieved an e-mail to say that the fax had been recieved, however the information that was on the fax wasn't enought to process the order (Even tho' it had EVERYTHING that they asked me to include)

Anyway, I updated the spreadsheet to include the further information they asked for, and it's now May and I've STILL not heard anything! Thats 7 Months since first getting in contact with them!!!

I have sent e-mails to find out what is happening and they say it's not been recieved, this I find very hard to beleive since I have sent the information to them now at least 10 times on both e-mail and fax.

I am well aware that the offer period has passed, but I sent all this infomation to them well before the offer finished.

I have called Moduslink freephone number on a number of occassions only to be told somebody will call me back, but nobody ever does. I have now been in touch with Microsoft UK about this and still nobody has got back to me.

Anybody else had problems? What else can I do? This is really starting to annoy me now. Can I take it further? Trading standards? Watchdog? National Press?

Cheers,

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Re: Free Vista Upgrade Offer

Don't worry, your not missing much !!
    I'm not going to roll it out for at least another 18 months.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

The company organising this entire scheme has had some serious problems with fulfilling the orders - many people suffering the same problems as yourself.

I would write a formal letter, containing all the information necessary, including all the dates that the info was previously sent and copies of any correspondence to the company and demand fulfillment of the request within a certain period else you will pursue it via the small claims court against them. Regardless of whether you would follow through, it is normally enough to kick these sorts of companies up the rear end to get the job done.

Thank Post

I use Vista at home, I kinda like it... but I'm not going to roll it out for in school for a while either, it's just we're entitled to these "Free" upgrade copies so don't want to miss out on them!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

t's just we're entitled to these "Free" upgrade copies so don't want to miss out on them!
    Are the upgrade licences tied to the new PCs you have bought though ?

Thank Post

Yes, VIA the COA numbers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

I am having the same problems at home and work! I've phone Moduslink and had no joy, so am going to try someone at MSUK as its not good this. I have asked time and time again and its oh no we don't see your email, but it never gets returned, i've sent the same one thought 4 times during the offer period with the data in the email, as a spreadsheet, as a PDF etc so lots of ways and still not heard anything from Moduslink. They are a big joke, they messed up with Small Business Server 2003 R2's Free Upgrades the other year as well, so why continue to use them!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Don't worry, your not missing much !!
    I'm not going to roll it out for at least another 18 months.
    I would say more like 36 months!

Or just get OS X all over.

Ross

Thank Post

Ok spoke to a bloke called "simon" (probably known as something completly different but had to choose an anglisied name for simplicy) who appologised and said that they have stuffed up on this big time with the bulk upgrades as they have no real way of dealing with them. Thats what they said anyway...

Thank Post

they messed up with Small Business Server 2003 R2's Free Upgrades the other year as well
    Quoted for the truth!

How long did it take to get yours? Think mine took 4 months in the end and that was only after I was emailing them everyday (not sure they would have bothered otherwise)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by PeterW
    they messed up with Small Business Server 2003 R2's Free Upgrades the other year as well
    Quoted for the truth!

How long did it take to get yours? Think mine took 4 months in the end and that was only after I was emailing them everyday (not sure they would have bothered otherwise)
    About 8 months, fortunatly the client was just glad to have a Server over a P2P setup so it wasn't an issue.

Thank Post

Lol, well when I finally got the upgrade I cant remeber if I even got round to installing it, just thought might as well get it since It was a free upgrade. I think SBS is a little under rated sometimes I know plenty of small businesses that are hobbling along with weird P2P networks that are mish mashed together and think to myself they could really imporve thier productivity with a proper network.

Thank Post

I had a phone call back today from ModusLink after getting quite angry with some block in Holland about it all!! I was told my order was in the system and they realise it has been for some time! They said it is in the middle of being processed,

In between this time I called Microsoft Customer Service, spoke to an english guy on the switchboard who put me thr to India, spoke to a woman there who i don't think had a clue what I was on about (she thought I'd got a vista upgrade but couldn't get it ot install on my machine!) Anyway, I asked her to speak to her manager, and she put me throught, he was very helpful and logged an official complaint for me, taking down all the detaills, he then put me throught to the Customer Service department back in the UK and again spoke to a very helpful guy, who is going to try all he can to speed this up for us, he said that he'd be honest with us that if the order was not on the system that it was very unlikely we would get anything, I was like WHHHATTTTT, how can this be, I have done everythihng well within the timescale, with E-mails and Fax confirmations as proff.

Anyway... fingers crossed they "should" be with us soon!!!!

Thank Post

Oh dear Lord! This isn't looking good for us then, I think I will make that call to MS in the UK.

(digs out number for education team at MS UK to see if they can help)

Thank Post

Yes, we did accept an offer for Vista Upgrades on the back of some 30-odd 'unattached' XP upgrade licenses, but it wasn't from Modus. We claimed the Vista Business licenses and media in February and we got them fairly promptly (after just a few 'ums and ahs'). Interestingly, they didn't ask us which license model we intended to use and gave us a single license key which was rejected by Microsoft when we tried to use it (number of users exceeded?). They gave us a new key without an arguement and confirmed that the key is for the enterprise LM.

That said, I have absolutely no intentions of actually deploying Vista in the foreseeable future, because I see no benefit, only unwarranted problems. Any new hardware will be downgraded to XP pro until such time as Microsoft cease to support it. Even then, I'll be giving serious thought to pushing it further. We've invested a lot of time tweaking group policies to make XP pro proof against fiddling and I believe Microsoft have been addressing rather different issues with Vista.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast