+ Post New Thread
Windows Vista Thread, Internet connectivity issues in Technical; Ok, I know I should upgrade but.... I have a Vista gaming pc at home and it has dropped the ...

Thank Post

Internet connectivity issues

Ok, I know I should upgrade but....
    I have a Vista gaming pc at home and it has dropped the internet connection. I am connecting to a Buffalo router with Cat5 cable, it gets an IP address and says local and interenet but the browsers won't load. It was fine last week and nothing has changed. It is also running Hamachi and Steam which do not connect either.
    It also randomly picks up a 168 IP address...
    Anyone any ideas? I have run a scan for viruses.. using AVG.. which could be the culprit.. hmmm

Thank Post
    Sounds like you need to set a static IP and browse into your router. Basically, sounds like your router may be borked/duffed/shafted etc... How old is the router?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    It'll be a 169.x.x.x address, which as above means there's a problem with your DHCP server (your router). If you haven't already, you can try basics such as switching the power off to the router, waiting up to a minute, then switching it back on.

Other possibilities are an aggressive firewall (blocking everything), malware or even a rootkit which are difficult to get rid off. Many malware also enable proxy settings, which would stop internet access, but wouldn't stop obtaining an IP address.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZD88 View Post
    Sounds like you need to set a static IP and browse into your router. Basically, sounds like your router may be borked/duffed/shafted etc... How old is the router?
    Tried the static IP route as this problem occurred with my other half's Vista Laptop. Didn't work this time though. The router is about 6 years old but all the Windows 7 laptops work fine.
    Last edited by NikChillin; 31st August 2011 at 12:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It'll be a 169.x.x.x address, which as above means there's a problem with your DHCP server (your router). If you haven't already, you can try basics such as switching the power off to the router, waiting up to a minute, then switching it back on.

Other possibilities are an aggressive firewall (blocking everything), malware or even a rootkit which are difficult to get rid off. Many malware also enable proxy settings, which would stop internet access, but wouldn't stop obtaining an IP address.
    Though that too, I did check the proxy settings and all was fine, I am now thinking that an upgrade to Windiws 7 might be in order, thaen I might look into upgraging my ADSL - YES!!!! ADSL router, we lost our bid for a fibre link grrrr! I was hoping to upgrade that when the internet connection was upgraded. Oh well.

Thanks for your input guys!

Thank Post
    If your other Windows 7 clients are fine, it does sound like you have a nasty on certain machines. Malwarebytes is a good place to start. Upgrading to Windows 7 'as new', would most likely delete the virus/malware/rootkit however please be aware Windows 7 isn't immune from these.

Thank Post
    I agree Michael, but sometimes it is quicker to re-install the OS than mess about running scans. But I do hate vista too!

Thank Post
    I must agree, Vista isn't the best OS. Service Pack 2 made it better, but Windows 7 SP1 is definitely more optimised.

Thank Post
    168 IP address is a default IP given by the OS, it simply means the system does not have a connection to the internet. So that would explain why your browser window is not loading.

Scanning your drive for adware is probably your best option, prior to upgrading, because you could carry the issue over to your new installation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rdokoye View Post
    168 IP address is a default IP given by the OS, it simply means the system does not have a connection to the internet. So that would explain why your browser window is not loading.

Scanning your drive for adware is probably your best option, prior to upgrading, because you could carry the issue over to your new installation.
    Sorry but that's just wrong, most computers connected to a router get a 169 address as it's the standard for internal IP's, your outward facing IP address is the unique IP for your connection which the router is sharing

Please ignore my dose of dumb!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 2nd December 2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: cover up the dumb

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Sorry but that's just wrong, most computers connected to a router get a 169 address as it's the standard for internal IP's, your outward facing IP address is the unique IP for your connection which the router is sharing
    169.x.x.x addresses are APIPA addresses, from Windows. It means a machine has no static IP set and can't connect to a DHCP server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    169.x.x.x addresses are APIPA addresses, from Windows. It means a machine has no static IP set and can't connect to a DHCP server.
    I'm thinking of 172

apologies @rdokoye

Thank Post
    i would uninstall Hamachi, I have seen it do weird things to IP Settings and network adapters on Vista machines, I'd uninstall it and do a reboot and see if you network picks up again. if it does then use something else for remote access like Team Viewer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread