+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows Vista Thread, The most annoyin things about vista in Technical; http://www.digitmag.co.uk/blogs/inde...&blogid=2&vm=i...

Thank Post

The most annoyin things about vista

Thank Post

Re: The most annoyin things about vista

Most of those are not to annoying. What is annoying is you cannot turn of Cleartype which makes fonts blurred on a CRT. Well you can turn of Cleartype for some text just not everything.

Thank Post

Have many people actually upgraded to vista on a permanent basis yet?

I've not used it once yet, I should have a play with it really to test certain things with it, but I don't think I am willing to pay for it, certainly not until the first set of security bugs are discovered and patched.

How long do you think it will be before most people buy an upgrade or purchase a new PC with vista pre-installed (most likely the latter).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Adjust for best performance + Win Classic mode doesn't use cleartype.

Nope, not for me. It was well in to 2003 when I eventually downgraded from Windows 2000 to XP at home. I've been using linux primarily for over a year now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is at least one incorrect statement in that article that I can see. It is regarding virtualisation on the Home editions.

The license disallows the virtualisation of the software 'on a licensed device' on top of itself within a virtual server - so running a copy on top of a copy.

This doesn't prevent its use on a virtual machine only though, so if you have a non OEM version of it you can run it in a VM just fine.

The more expensive editions do allow you to run 2 copies (one on top of the other) which is a better license than in XP...

I have it installed on one box and I just don't like it. I have taken to nearly every other OS I have come across quickly and easily, be it windows based, dos based, *nix based, BE or even the old archimedes stuff but I just don't like Vista for some reason. I have no plans to use it in school for a good long time, and may even consider moving to a linux based client os if permitted to by my boss.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

This doesn't prevent its use on a virtual machine only though, so if you have a non OEM version of it you can run it in a VM just fine.
    This is incorrect. The EULA of the Home and Home Premium version disallows you from running it in a VM at all. Here's what the EULA actually says:

USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.
    You are correct that Enterprise and Ultimate EULAs do permit you to run them in a VM. However be aware that some functionality is disabled.

USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed device. If you do so, you may not play or access content or use applications protected by any Microsoft digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other Microsoft rights management services or use BitLocker. We advise against playing or accessing content or using applications protected by other digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other rights management services or using full volume disk drive encryption.
    The more expensive editions do allow you to run 2 copies (one on top of the other) which is a better license than in XP...
    Only Enterprise Edition AFAIK.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No, you are reading it incorrectly still. The licensed device is the device that the software is licensed to run on. It is then not allowed to run on top of that in a VM. Microsoft have already responded on this point elsewhere - I will see if I can find the comment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ah, ok. I appear to be wrong. There is a comment from an MS guy in this saying that it isn't supported in the home editions.

However, the license is therefore not clear on this issue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I stand by my interpretation of the EULAs.

Thank Post

“Have many people actually upgraded to vista on a permanent basis yet?”
    Getting very tempted to at home but still dual booting back to win 64-bit. The main reason is the interface is odd and I keep getting lost. I have a few habits like using the up button but there is none in Vista. Once I learn the interface along with 1 or 2 more driver updates and I think I will be swapping to Vista and only booting in win 64-bit for the odd occasion. As for work I don’t plan on getting Vista until next year or late this year at the earliest.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_

I've not used it once yet, I should have a play with it really to test certain things with it, but I don't think I am willing to pay for it, certainly not until the first set of security bugs are discovered and patched.

How long do you think it will be before most people buy an upgrade or purchase a new PC with vista pre-installed (most likely the latter).
    My desktop PC is (and was my old laptop) but I'm reverting back to XP during the Easter hols. Vista is too much of a hinderance to be of any use, and offers me nothing over XP apart from being resource hungry, and I'm on a Duo 3Ghz, 4GB DDR II PC!!

Thank Post

Thinking of upgrading home PC soon so will get it with that. This in mind I'm holding off for a bit to let it all settle. But wouldn't upgrade.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey
    As for work I don’t plan on getting Vista until next year or late this year at the earliest.
    Wow. That is still pretty early by our standards here. As I work for primary schools with a tiny budget, I have started only in the past two weeks to roll out windows XP onto our previously windows 2000 network at one school. So basically we won't have vista for the forseeable future, not least because our new classroom computers wouldn't be able to run it without a slowdown, if at all (1.7GHz with 512MB RAM).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'll be waiting for Vista SP1 before I even consider it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I agree with Geoff at least SP1 possibly even SP2 Vienna is coming out in 2009 though.

Wes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast